Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aryan-x86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Hi,

I plan on using my 5.1-flashed MP4.1 with a single X5690, MVC flashed GTX 970, 32GB RAM,

for developing iOS apps in xCode. Now I believe I have to use xCode 15, which requires MacOS Ventura.

I am guessing that upgrading all the way to Ventura is impossible, and even if it isn't, I think my hardware will be lacking behind in terms of performance in the OS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 questions:

- Which MacOS version will bring me the most performance out of my MP4.1 while being as new as possible?

- Has someone figured out a workaround that will make it possible to develop apps on my Mac Pro 5.1 on that version of MacOS, perhaps another IDE?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Forget NVIDIA GPUs with software development, support ends with High Sierra and is an extremely ugly hack with no METAL support with Mojave and later.

Monterey still works perfectly fine for software development on a MacPro5,1, but is something that will end soon. Ventura forwards with OCLP you will have issues related to AVX2, but you'll need to test yourself.

For the second question, instead of looking something that will work for a limited time, if even works for you, get a Mac Mini M1, pretty inexpensive and you can use it to compile whatever you need.

theMarble

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I plan on using my 5.1-flashed MP4.1 with a single X5690, MVC flashed GTX 970, 32GB RAM, for developing iOS apps in xCode. Now I believe I have to use xCode 15, which requires MacOS Ventura.
As @tsialex said, no matter which version of macOS you end up choosing, you will need to completely ditch your GTX 970 for an AMD card that supports the Metal API. I would suggest looking for an RX 580 or a 5700 XT, they aren't too expensive these days and work extremely well in the 5,1.

Edit: RX 5000+ series cards are not supported in Ventura and later on the 5,1 due to AVX2 not being supported.

Which MacOS version will bring me the most performance out of my MP4.1 while being as new as possible?
Ventura (with OCLP) would be my pick. Monterey will be losing all security updates and patches in September, and Xcode doesn't support working with the latest iOS/iPadOS releases in the last supported version for Monterey.

Has someone figured out a workaround that will make it possible to develop apps on my Mac Pro 5.1 on that version of MacOS, perhaps another IDE?
As far as I'm aware, to develop apps for iOS/iPadOS, you need to use Xcode, meaning that you will need to be running Ventura at the minimum.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I would suggest looking for an RX 580 or a 5700 XT, they aren't too expensive these days and work extremely well in the 5,1.

OCLP does not support NAVI GPUs with Ventura/Sonoma with a MacPro5,1, drivers require AVX2.

Ventura/Sonoma with a MacPro5,1 + OCLP are limited to Polaris and VEGA GPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.