Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I've pre-ordered an iPhone 11 Pro Max. It'll be my first iPhone without a headphone jack.

At the moment I use a DSLR with a 3.5mm lav mic for recording video. My DSLR is quite old and doesn't support 4K so my plan is to use the iPhone for recording some 4K content for my YouTube channel. However, for the best audio I'd like to be able to use my lav mic.

Apple advertise a 3.5mm to lightening adapter for sale. It has terrible reviews, but all of them (and the adapter description) talk about using it for headphones. I've found similar adapters on other online outlets but similarly they all describe using the adapter for attaching wired headphones.

Perhaps what I want to do isn't possible?

I'd welcome advice. Ideally I don't want to purchase a new mic just for the iPhone, although I will consider that as an option if anyone has a helpful suggestion, but if there's a decent adapter that will allow me to use my existing 3.5mm lav mic with the lightening port when shooting iPhone video then that would be my preferred solution.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Edit: I’m rethinking and although still keen to use my lav mic, I’ve seen photos of people with a Rode mic on their iPhone so would welcome advice of which Rode mic and what cable/adapter to use.

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
A follow up in case anyone finds this. The Apple 3.5mm to lightning adaptor has such awful reviews, I've ordered a slightly more expensive one through Amazon by UGreen. It is a nylon braided lead, and having had cables of a similar style in the past I know these to be better than the standard kind of lead that just breaks with regular use (as seems to have happened to just about everyone who's purchased the official Apple version).

The UGreen cable is certified for audio so I'm hopeful it'll do the trick and work with my lav mic.

I have no idea if this is a good cable or not - only time will tell!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
A follow up in case anyone finds this. The Apple 3.5mm to lightning adaptor has such awful reviews, I've ordered a slightly more expensive one through Amazon by UGreen. It is a nylon braided lead, and having had cables of a similar style in the past I know these to be better than the standard kind of lead that just breaks with regular use (as seems to have happened to just about everyone who's purchased the official Apple version).

The UGreen cable is certified for audio so I'm hopeful it'll do the trick and work with my lav mic.

I have no idea if this is a good cable or not - only time will tell!
Remember you need either a mic with a TRRS jack, a TRRS patch cable or a TRS to TRRS adapter to use 3.5mm mics with the lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Reactions: Plett

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Have you thought about Shure MOTIV ? I use it is mainly recording just audio all the time but I’ve also used it with the FiLMiC Pro app to get great audio and video at the same time

Reactions: SBC44

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Remember you need either a mic with a TRRS jack, a TRRS patch cable or a TRS to TRRS adapter to use 3.5mm mics with the lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Thanks for the advice. Instead of the dodgy Apple adapter, I'm looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q6K37BD/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would the Rhode SC-4 (for use with the above adapter) cover the conversion you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RØDE-SC4-iPhone-Accessory-Black/dp/B00L6C8PN0

Thanks for your help.
[doublepost=1568622108][/doublepost]
Have you thought about Shure MOTIV ? I use it is mainly recording just audio all the time but I’ve also used it with the FiLMiC Pro app to get great audio and video at the same time

The demo of the FiLMiC update in the keynote was so impressive and I intend to purchase that software when the new version comes out. Thanks for the tip about the Shure MOTIV. Not something I'd heard of but is definitely worth checking out. Thanks!

Last edited:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Would the Rhode SC-4 (for use with the above adapter) cover the conversion you're talking about?
Should do. Rode also sell a TRS - TRRS patch cable (the SC7) for use with their mics (e.g. VideoMicro) that would save you using the adapter.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Should do. Rode also sell a TRS - TRRS patch cable (the SC7) for use with their mics (e.g. VideoMicro) that would save you using the adapter.

The SC7 is 3.5mm to 3.5mm so wouldn't I still have to use the adapter so I could connect to the lightning port?

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Yes but you wouldn’t need the SC4 so it’d be neater overall.

Really sorry, I'm obviously in thick mode today!! :confused:

My thoughts are 3.5mm connector on my lav mic into the female connector on the SC4, then the SC4 3.5mm male connector into the female end of the lightening cable adaptor, then the lightning cable into the lightning port on my iPhone.

I can't see how an SC7 with a 3.5mm connector at each end would allow me to connect a 3.5mm lav mic into an iPhone with a lightning port. I'm probably missing your point and apologise for my stupidity!!

Chiswick

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
My wife has to do presentations for her work and sometimes records them 'on location' to make them more interesting. We use this microphone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MPDYGBE/ and connect it to my iPhone XS using the Apple 3.5mm to lightning adapter. So far the results have been fine, good enough to show at the company sales conference, and the adapter is still working despite being used most days with earphones.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
My wife has to do presentations for her work and sometimes records them 'on location' to make them more interesting. We use this microphone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MPDYGBE/ and connect it to my iPhone XS using the Apple 3.5mm to lightning adapter. So far the results have been fine, good enough to show at the company sales conference, and the adapter is still working despite being used most days with earphones.

This made me smile lots! That's the exact same lav mic that I have myself and found it to be excellent with my Nikon DSLR. Hearing that it works with the Apple 3.5mm to lightning adapter without any other patch cables is music to my ears! Great news.

After reading the bad reviews of the official Apple 3.5mm to lightning cable, I ordered an Apple certified version with a nylon braided lead that will hopefully be a little more long wearing. By the sounds of it, it *should* work out of the box.

Thanks so much for your help!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I can't see how an SC7 with a 3.5mm connector at each end would allow me to connect a 3.5mm lav mic into an iPhone with a lightning port. I'm probably missing your point and apologise for my stupidity!!
It won’t, I was responding to the bit of your original post where you said you were considering buying a Rode mic and cable.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I use the Shure MV88, highly recommend.

There is a new version out now, the Shure MV88+ which looks even better.

I’ve used this for videos of talking head pieces, to concerts, the audio quality is fantastic. The app gives you full control of how the hardware records, including manual control of the field of range.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
It won’t, I was responding to the bit of your original post where you said you were considering buying a Rode mic and cable.

Ah right. I understand where you're coming from now. Thanks for the clarification and the advice. It's much appreciated.
[doublepost=1568795273][/doublepost]

I’ve used this for videos of talking head pieces, to concerts, the audio quality is fantastic. The app gives you full control of how the hardware records, including manual control of the field of range.

That looks awesome. I saw the MV88 online and wondered if it was any good - it's great to hear from someone who has one and rates it.

Thanks for the tip about the MV88+. I was concerned about the MV88 being lightning as although my new iPhone Pro Max (when it eventually gets here, Apple have pushed my order back by over 2 weeks!) has a lightning port, the next iPhone I buy most probably won't. The MV88+ looks to be the solution to that particular problem. I'm seriously tempted!!

Thanks so much for the feedback.

timta

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015

Agree, this is a great little mic.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.