Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi all, I'm been looking at this forum for quite a while, and it seems like most people use Dell monitors for their photo stuff. I'm in Canada btw.

On Dell website the S2209W is on sale at $169 (discount of 100) which is pretty cheap I guess. The deal is only around for 1 more day so please give me some insight fast.

Now on Ncix website on the other hand, the BenQ E2200HD is going for 200 (discount of ~30). (also on sale :p)

Both are Full HD, (1080) and are around 22" (The BenQ is 16:9 so its 21.5"). Personally I would buy the BenQ since it has HDMI, which is quite nice, I could play Xbox with it. BUt again, the majority of ppl here are using Dell monitors to edit photos which is the main reason I'm buying extra monitor.

Any insight is appreciated.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
The Dell S2209W is a TN panel and is not very good for photo editing.
Below is a broad breakdown of panel types
TN Gamers
Considered a "gamers" panel due to it's fast pixel response times which reduces trailing images know as "ghosting". However, this advantage has been reduced by new technologies to accelerate pixel response times in other panel types. Colors and contrast tend to be weak and blacks are not truly dark. Viewing angles are significantly limited. However, monitors based on this technology tend to be inexpensive.

IPS / S-IPS Graphics Work or Web Browsing
Considered to have the best color reproduction of all panel types, these panels are well suited for graphics work or web browsing. Pixel response time is also good but slower than the TN "gamers" panel. Contast and blacks are also less dark than VA panels but viewing angles are excellent.

MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA Compromise for All-Around Use
These panels are a compromise between the fast pixel response times of the TN panel and the excellent color reproduction of the IPS panels. Contrast and blacks are best of all the panel types. Viewing angles are similar but slightly inferior to IPS.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
well I wish I could afford that $300 Dell, but I guess I'm stuck with a low budget for now, thanks for the recommendation though. I guess I should go with the Dell then?, considering it's a $100 discount

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
The Dell that Phra was speaking of is going to the be the cheapest monitor for photography. Trust me, you won't be upset if you do decide to spend a little more and get that. The cheap Dell is going to be just that, cheap, but I don't know what will make you or others happy, so it may be just find in your case. Personally, if money weren't an issue, I'd go with a Cinema display, not that I'm a fanboy or anything:rolleyes:.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Hi all, I'm been looking at this forum for quite a while, and it seems like most people use Dell monitors for their photo stuff. I'm in Canada btw.

On Dell website the S2209W is on sale at $169 (discount of 100) which is pretty cheap I guess. The deal is only around for 1 more day so please give me some insight fast.

Now on Ncix website on the other hand, the BenQ E2200HD is going for 200 (discount of ~30). (also on sale :p)

Both are Full HD, (1080) and are around 22" (The BenQ is 16:9 so its 21.5"). Personally I would buy the BenQ since it has HDMI, which is quite nice, I could play Xbox with it. BUt again, the majority of ppl here are using Dell monitors to edit photos which is the main reason I'm buying extra monitor.

Any insight is appreciated.
Interestingly, the Dell and BenQ monitors you've listed here use the exact same panel, the 21.5"WS AU Optronics TN Film (M215HW01 V0).

As mentioned by another poster, a TN-type panel is great for gaming, but colour and contrast quality is not great. However, if pressed to choose between them I'd go with the Dell unless you absolutely need that HDMI port.

Milfin

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
well I wish I could afford that $300 Dell, but I guess I'm stuck with a low budget for now, thanks for the recommendation though. I guess I should go with the Dell then?, considering it's a $100 discount

I just paid for my Dell 2209WA $212 including shipping and tax was $14.42.
Grand total of $226.42
My order won't delivered till 03/09/09 though.

Angela Smith
Angela_Smith@Dell.com
1-800-456-3355 x 9460376

I just gave her my name/ ship/delivery address and provided a credit card # with expiration date and that security code.

I emailed her first than I telephoned here and gave my info over the phone.
I think this is for Business Accounts but have seen numerous of post about people taking advantage of the offer.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I can't find that deal anywhere, perhaps its from Dell US? Dell Canada lists that WA for $360.... That's more than doubling the price. I guess I will go with the W then. Thanks for all the recommendations, hope I will be able to buy the WA next year :D

trentdewhite

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
For what it's worth, I picked up the 2209W last night at Best Buy and got them to match the $169 CAN price tag on the Dell website. I only have the mini display port to VGA cable, so the image quality isn't that great when you're mirroring your desktop. However, when you enable dual monitor (extending the screen), the quality is fantastic. I ordered a mini display port to DVI cable last night... hopefully it'll improve the quality.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I personally wouldn't touch a cheap monitor for colour accuracy - you need to be looking at Eizo monitors, or others in the Apple Cinema Display price range to be getting a decent result.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
What display panel is Apple using in their 24" iMac...and is it the same panel as the ACD's?

I can't seem to find the display 'type' anywhere on my computer...

Jim

PS Returned the iMac for warranty replacement on the original display since it was showing 'horizontal shadows' when looking at a solid white background, and just got it home tonight only to find it is now much brighter on one side than the other...grrrrr.
30.00 in gas and 2 half days traveling, only to have to do it again I guess.

Jim

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
What display panel is Apple using in their 24" iMac...and is it the same panel as the ACD's?

I can't seem to find the display 'type' anywhere on my computer...
Jim

The 24" iMacs use S-IPS panels, which are good for colour accuracy, and are the same panels used in the cinema displays.

Unfortunately Apple never tell you this.

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm in the same boat.. gah. I really want 1920x1080 or even a 2048x1152. 1650x1080 doesn't really cut it.

the Dell 2409WA is nice, but $500..

Any more ideas on 24"ers?

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I just recieved two Dell S2209W displays as part of a desktop package and they're actually not half bad for a TN-type panel.

Their biggest problem is color shifting from sitting off-angle, and even this is no where near as bad as many other TN panels.

Colors are pretty good, red is oversaturated but this can be adjusted and sovled in calibration.

Blacks are pretty good as well, and the backlight is also fairly consistant.

I haven't calibrated either of mine, but out of the box they look pretty good next to my calibrated ultrasharps, although both have a cooler overall cast.

For a cheap TN monitor, you could do much much worse. I wouldn't trust it to do world-class print work, but for a casual photographer on a budget it's not a bad buy.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I'm in the same boat.. gah. I really want 1920x1080 or even a 2048x1152. 1650x1080 doesn't really cut it.

the Dell 2409WA is nice, but $500..

Any more ideas on 24"ers?

I have a Samsung 1600x1200 s-pva panel the image quality is very good.(I use a $5000 Eizo at work) Of course not as good as the Ezio but I am happy with it. The size does not bother me at all. I like the 4:3 aspect ratio. For me the bottom like is I rather have a smaller monitor with better color reproduction, that a bigger screen with bad color.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I'm going to assume you aren't making your living via photography.

If true, I would still recommend getting an IPS panel monitor.

If you intend to "go pro", then you will *need* an Eizo or LaCie and spend
somewhere in the 'hood of $2000 or more. The Dell and Apple monitors do not provide accurate color.

kjohansen

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
Oregon
I use a Dell 2407 and color calibrate it every week. I always get WYSIWYG, I would love an Eizo, but that is not in the budget right now. I do like some of the 300 series Lacie's, they get great ratings for photography. But you are still looking at laying out some cash to get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.