Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHumphries

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
My wife is looking for a noise removal plugin (Photoshop) or standalone program. She is looking at noiseware. Any others out there we should be aware of? Anyone use noiseware and give me a review on it?

Thanks.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
My wife is looking for a noise removal plugin (Photoshop) or standalone program. She is looking at noiseware. Any others out there we should be aware of? Anyone use noiseware and give me a review on it?

Thanks.

I use Noiseware and have used Noise Ninja in the past. Noiseware has never let me down. Excellent program; lets you tailor the noise reduction to suit your needs, and is pretty good at retaining detail even at high noise reduction levels.

That said, I hardly use it anymore. I just don't find noise that objectionable, especially when the output is the web. For prints, you might need a touch of noise reduction at ISO3200 and above on most DLSRs, but other than that I've almost stopped using Noiseware except for the most extreme circumstances.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Imagenomic Noiseware professional (plugin) is the only one I really have experience with but it works very well....

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I use NoiseNinja, but there's not really a "best," as they all perform a little differently on different images. I'm pretty-sure that most of them offer free trials that add watermarks, so your best bet is to try them on a sampling of images to see if you even like the results.

I narrowed it down from Noiseware, NoiseNinja and NeatImage and ended up with NoiseNinja.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I'm currently using DFine from NiK. It is a bit simpler in many ways than Noise Ninja but suits my needs and has the same style as all the NiK software which I use so I don't have to think about a new interface.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have used noise ninja for years, it does a very good job and is really easy and quick to use.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Another vote for Dfine from NIK. What I like most about it is that it gives you the option to have the noise reduction on a new layer, which you can then mask out selectively for the best possible results.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Topaz DeNoise

I am using Topaz DeNoise and have been amazed at how well it works. You can download a fully functional 30 day free trial.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I also use Dfine. I have no idea whether of not is is "best", but I like the results. Very smooth and not artificial.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Another vote for DFine (in Aperture). Like others, no idea if it is the 'best' as I've never done a comparison with competing software, but I'm more than happy with the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.