Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Can somebody recommend good IS f/2.8 zoom lenses for the 5D m-ii that reduce the typical 5D m-ii dof, especially when closer up to the subject?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Can somebody recommend good IS f/2.8 zoom lenses for the 5D m-ii that reduce the typical 5D m-ii dof, especially when closer up to the subject?

What do you mean, reduce the DOF? The DOF is a function of aperture and focal length, so any lens with those identical settings will have the same DOF.

There's only one f2.8 IS zoom that Canon make, and it's the 70-200f2.8L IS

Usually with faster lenses, IS is less of a big deal, as the wide aperture lets in more light and allows you to select a higher shutter speed. If you want low DOF, you should also be taking a look at the 85f1.8, the 135f2 etc.

It would help if you said whether you were shooting full frame or not, and what sort of subject you're thinking of shooting.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Full size sensor do have shallow DOF, specially at close range. You can always move away from the subject, or just use another lens aperture as follows: use the same lens, but close its aperture. Try f/4, and if not sufficient, f/5.6. if that's still too shallow, switch to f/8. You may have to increase ISO if shooting in low light, or use a flash. While the camera meters ambient light and the subject, the flash (set to E-TTL illuminates the subject.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Full size sensor do have shallow DOF, specially at close range. You can always move away from the subject, or just use another lens aperture as follows: use the same lens, but close its aperture. Try f/4, and if not sufficient, f/5.6. if that's still too shallow, switch to f/8. You may have to increase ISO if shooting in low light, or use a flash. While the camera meters ambient light and the subject, the flash (set to E-TTL illuminates the subject.

The OP asked about reducing depth of field - you've told them how to increase it!

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
If you want a shallow depth of field, go for any prime lenses. They'll be much better at capturing light, due to a more open aperture. Most go down to f1.4, which means razor thin depth of field, allowing for a very blurred background. I'm taking it that you're wanting this for maybe taking some videos for fun?

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I'm not too sure what the question is here.

The thread title is asking for "Non-DOF" and the thread asks about reducing DOF.

I'm finding it all a bit confusing, personally.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Haha I was confused too. If he meant "non-DOF", then that would no depth of field. So that would mean that he wouldn't want any kind of background blurring of any sort? Or am I just confused? :rolleyes:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
"non-DOF" makes no sense. I thought he was asking about "non-DO" when I saw the title.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah what i mean is how can i avoid the typical overdone DOF.

Yes you read right, non-DOF, REDUCE DOF.

More like typical 35mm look what i'm after.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Maybe posting an example will help me understand. I mean no offence, but despite all of my experience in photography, I don't understand what you mean.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Reduced depth-of-field

For reduced DOF, you want the longest lens feasible and the widest aperture affordable. There's not really much more to it.

I don't think Canon have any 'bad' wide-aperture lenses. What do you want to shoot? Maybe we can help more if you give us a bit more detail.

I thought the 5D Mk II was full-frame, so any shots will have a "typical 35mm look" as that's the size of the sensor anyway.

:confused:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Depth of field is strictly determined by (1) aperture, (2) focal Length and (3) subject distance. And one more factor which is basically your criteria for sharpness that they call "circle of confusion".

There are some on-line calculator that will let you play with the numbers. You can run a few dozen "what if" through the calculator figure out what you want

But remeber DOF has nothing to do with brand or model of lens.

Here is a good one:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

And others...
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/DOF-calculator.htm
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Some people are posting answers on *increasing* depth of field (DOF) and others are posting answers on *reducing* DOF.

Which do you want, OP?

More depth of field will result in more of elements that are fore and aft of the focus point (not sure the technical term here sorry!) being in-focus. Increase your f-stop (f/5.6 or f/8, for example), which is actually decreasing the size of the aperture.

Less depth of field will result in more elements being out of focus. (unless you are shooting an extremely flat object). For this effect, increase the aperture size by selecting a small f-stop (f/2.8 or even 1.8 or 1.2). Also, as other have mentioned, increase the focal length (100mm, for example) and distance to the subject.

Good luck and have fun!

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I don't want to offend, but if you have invested in a 5D mark ll, a full frame, professional grade camera, I think you owe it to yourself to buy a book or two and learn more about photography.
You've got some good advice here, play around with the lens(es) you have now and see how it affects the DOF.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
With the same lens, a Mark II and a 35mm film camera have the exact same depth of field.

Answer this basic question so people can know what you're talking about: Do you want more or less things in focus?

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
LOL! i was thinking the same thing.

in regards to you wanting the 5D2 to look like a 35mm camera, your argument isn't making any sense? A FF DSLR camera has the same sized sensor as a 35mm film camera!! that's the point so it will look more like a 35mm camera compared to a cropped sensor DSLR.
i have a 5D2 and that buttery bokeh i think you're not wanting is one of the reasons people love it. and why people buy lenses like the 70-200 f2.8. post pictures of your problem or examples of what you don't want and do want to achieve.

I don't want to offend, but if you have invested in a 5D mark ll, a full frame, professional grade camera, I think you owe it to yourself to buy a book or two and learn more about photography.
You've got some good advice here, play around with the lens(es) you have now and see how it affects the DOF.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I think Our "OP" is using the term "DOF" wrong. He does not list a location. Perhaps English is not his native language or perhaps the conventions used by photographers to describe these effects.

It is confusing. Some people wonder why f/2.8 is "larger" than f/5.6 Until it is pointed out that both are fractions.

I think MBX might think that "DOF" means "Narrow zone of focus". This could explain the confusing wording in his question.

To MBX: "DOF" means "Depth of Focus". A larger DOF means more things are sharp. A very large depth is called "parafocal" which means everything is sharp. A reduced or small DOF means that only one part of the picture is sharp.

So when you asked for "less DOF" you were asking for even less of the image to be sharp. If you want more of the image to be sharp simply shoot with a smaller f-stop. Perhaps at f/8 or even f/16. This is why your camera has an aperture priority exposure mode so you can select the f-stop.
Any lens can be stopped down to f/16

In other words, "DOF does not refer to a style or trechnique. DOF is the name of a zone that we measure in feet.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Eh?

That's not exactly wide aperture is it?

Try f2.8 or wider.

They asked for "typical 35mm DOF" - back in the day, lots of 35mm cameras shot at a fixed aperture (modern equivalents would be disposable cameras), usually around f/5.6-f/8 to give a fairly "wide" depth of field that would keep several faces sharp in a group photo etc.

The difficulty in this thread is that the OP is talking nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.