Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daz777777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Hi Guys

I'm looking to upgrade my Canon 800IS and I'm after a camera that does HD video in a H.264 format that will require no converting once imported into iPhoto. Please can you confirm any such camera's?

Thanks

Darren

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

iPhoto doesn't import videos, that I know of, so I'm a little confused by your question.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What do you mean by "no converting"?

Anyways, you might want to look into the Panasonic ZS3 which does 1280x720 videos in either M-JPEG or AVCHD Lite.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

iPhoto doesn't import videos, that I know of, so I'm a little confused by your question.

iPhoto can import videos from a Digital Camera, but does either .avi (from my Canon P&S) and .mov (from a Panasonic I had)...

OP - iLife '09? That's what I'm using...

Apr 10, 2007
Although it won't do H.264 video, the cannon D90 is really super nice. The guy at HD for indies did a comparison on this still photography camera compared to the professional video red camera that does film 2k and 4k video:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/mcurtis/story/nikon_d90_vs_scarlet/

It was hard pressed to see that this camera almost gives you full on film like capabilities at a fraction of the cost.

Im sorry but htis has to be one of the most backwards posts I have ever read on this forum :p.

I mean the Cannon D90?! and the Nikon D90 would be bad for what he is asking for imo, it doesn't meet any of the requirements the OP is asking for, its not a P&S, doesn't shoot H.264, and it is a pretty terrible dedicated HD camera, it is a camera first and camcorder a far far second.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Check out the canon site.

I just got a Canon 970 IS point and shoot. One of the reasons was because it does HD video. It works great so far. Also takes great pictures.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Interesting replies...

What do you mean by "no converting?" No converting for what? Just to store it in iPhoto and play it back on your computer? Is that all you want to do?

The Canon TX1 (older camera) does mjpeg/avi in HD (720p) which can be stored and played from iPhoto, but the files are huge and it's form factor is odd.

The Panasonic ZS3's AVCHD lite format cannot be stored and played back simply through iPhoto. iMovie now handles AVCHD lite, but you have to import them through iMovie, which converts them to an intermediate format. Not what you said you wanted. But the ZS3 also has an option to record HD in mjpeg/.mov files which can be kept in iPhoto and played back by just clicking. The Panny LX3 can do the same, but is a bigger camera. The issue, as with the TX1, is that these .mov files are similar to the TX1's avi formats (both use mjpeg for compression), so the files are HUGE.

Canon's SX200 will shoot h.264 movies wrapped in .mov, and they can be stored in iPhoto and played back there, too. The h.264 movies also benefit from more compression than the mjpegs, and therefore create smaller files. I believe a couple of the newer Canon SD series (SD960 and SD970 according to dpreview?) also record HD in h.264 in the same way, so they should behave in the same manner. h.264 takes a little more processor power from your computer to play, though. If you have a newer Mac, you'll be fine. If you plan to edit the movies or share them with other computers you could have issues. Editing and re-encoding from h.264 requires time and processor speed, and if you send copies to friends to play on their PCs or older Macs, they could have issues. Newer Macs (by newer, I mean any Core 2 Duo since the white intel iMacs -- my 20" white 2.16GHz C2D plays them fine) will have no issues with playback.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.