Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Ok I know I am not going to get the best P&S in this price range but I don't need something high end. I need to get my mom a replacement camera, she has been using my old Kodak V610 that I got back in 2006 and it recently stopped working.

Don't need too much optical zoom, and high mega pixels is not important. What would you guys suggest?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
How about the Canon Powershot SD780 IS. 12mp, 3X optical zoom, does 720p HD video, and is very small. I haven't used one, but I'm thinking of getting one for my girlfriend to replace her aging and bulky older Powershot A-series.

Costco has them for $170, and they are a bit more expensive on Amazon, although I've seen the price fluctuate a lot in the past month.

heesey1010

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
If you're willing to risk refurbished, Adorama had the SD780IS refurbished for $109, pretty darn good deal if you ask me. Otherwise, the SD1200IS and the SD1300IS look fine right now. Also, any Panasonic low-range ones look to be OK. Stay away from Nikon though (a shame, considering they were at least decent in the P&S range some years ago).

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
If you're willing to risk refurbished, Adorama had the SD780IS refurbished for $109, pretty darn good deal if you ask me. Otherwise, the SD1200IS and the SD1300IS look fine right now. Also, any Panasonic low-range ones look to be OK. Stay away from Nikon though (a shame, considering they were at least decent in the P&S range some years ago).

I've got the SD1200IS and I love it. It does look like they've removed some features from the SD1100IS, but the processor is a lot better, at least with low light shots. My brother and his friend both bought the 1200, and they haven't complained.

I saw Amazon had it for about $100 (or it was Newegg).

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Consider a used/refurbished camera from a reputable dealer such as B&H, Adorama, Amazon, craigslist (if you can find one at all), a local camera shop of some kind etc.

My stepmother wanted a camera after the old one that I gave her fell onto a carpet floor while lens was out. I looked at a $99 refurbished Canon Powershot A1100is from B&H. It uses AA batteries which was a requirement.

If HD video, wide angle lens, manual control, is not your mothers thing then you have lots of choices.

For Nikons the L18 is probably the only good one in the cheap. Otherwise the rest are very so so. Brand new one are looking better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.