Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I'm looking at getting my wife a nice Point and Shoot camera for Christmas. She is a teacher and she takes pictures of her classroom and kids to send in an email to the parents weekly to keep them up to date with what is doing on. She is using my old 3 MP p&s and I would like to get her a nice new compact point and shoot for her classroom and for around family and friends.

What do you recommend? What do you have?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I have a nikon S5 and its great P & S. Its 6 MP so it emails will be more then enough... Its slim and very compact. I also like the canon SD series too. (price made the decision for me) I also like this konica mintola one. Its 7 MP and its shock proof and waterproof. Great for being around the kiddies. I forgot the model number but i saw it at best buy....

edit, its the
Olympus Stylus 7.1-Megapixel Digital Camera
Model: 720 SW http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat99300050007&id=1134704163820

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Thanks Puckhead...I will look into those

30 views and none of you own a P&S digital camera.....wow....I thought more people had them....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Thanks Puckhead...I will look into those

30 views and none of you own a P&S digital camera.....wow....I thought more people had them....

Ever do a search? There are lots of these threads and we get these questions every week. Maybe the regulars here are taking a breather. ;)

I'd consider a Casio, Nikon, or Olympus. I like the Canons, but their non-functioning battery indicator gives me the sh**s. :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I own a Panasonic Lumix TZ1. It's not super-compact but it takes great photos, 5MP, 10x optical zoom with image stabilisation and a great Leica lens on it.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Ever do a search? There are lots of these threads and we get these questions every week. Maybe the regulars here are taking a breather. ;)

I'd consider a Casio, Nikon, or Olympus. I like the Canons, but their non-functioning battery indicator gives me the sh**s. :eek:

Since I have been a member for almost 4 years (signed up 1 month after you)....yes I know how to do a search. I didn't find what I was looking for so I decided to ask the question. Sorry to bother the discussion forum with another question....as a regular to this section and many other ones on the discussion forum I know what gets asked often....

JK Abstract....yes I did search and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for and I started this thread.

I'm interested in the Nikon S7c and a couple of the Sony p&s. To an extent, my wife wants someting compact and cute (women.....). Anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Do you already have an F31fd? There are no reviews yet. All the specs seem to be the same as the F30 except for the face detection. Did they fix some issues of the F30 (exposure, white balance, purple fringing)?

These compacts seem to be the best for low light.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Do you already have an F31fd? There are no reviews yet. All the specs seem to be the same as the F30 except for the face detection. Did they fix some issues of the F30 (exposure, white balance, purple fringing)?

These compacts seem to be the best for low light.
I don't have the F31fd, I've used the F30 though for a few days, just recommended the 31fd because the F30 was already an excellent camera (besides the quirks like overexposure, I didn't have a problem with white balance, and purple fringing wasn't too distracting for me) and the face detection might come in useful for the OP.

I currently have the S6000fd, while it's a much larger camera, has the same sensor as the F30/F31fd so I definitely can vouch for the low light performance, useable up to ISO 800, ISO 1600 can be cleaned up, and 3200 I haven't used yet. The face detection is a very nice feature to have on the S6000fd, I set it and let other people use the camera and the exposures always come out perfect.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
I have a Nikon Coolpix L4 that I'm very happy with. Nice small point and shoot for real cheap. 4mp, but the pictures look real nice, people never believe me when I tell em it's only a 4mp. Takes two AA batteries which can be good or bad. I like that I don't have to wait for a battery to charge all the time and I can always carry a few extra batteries with me. Gets a good amount of time out of two AA especially if you use lithium. I think I paid around $120 for it and it's probably the best point and shoot I've had especially for the price.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I have heard very good things about the new line of Fuji's. My friend loves his F10, and they are pretty cheap online now a days.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
sony p&s's SUCK! I have first hand experience! do NOT buy one.

anyway, the Fuji V10 is really nice. it has a huge LCD and good image quality.

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
All the cameras in the Canon SD line are pretty good.

What is the latest and greatest of the SD line? Mrs A informed me that she reversed over our daughters nappy bag while on vacation last week, and in the said bag was our SD500!!!! Damn, now I have to look at a decent deal to replace it. Any other recommendations? No more than $300 and must use SD card as I have 1Gb which I would like to reuse. The rest of the camera is about as thick as a SD card from what I hear.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
If she is only sending them in emails and such, why not save a bit of money? Get a Pentax E10 or M20. They're great cameras and pretty damn cheap, too.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I love my LX-1, now replaced by the LX-2. Or the near equal of the D-Lux 3 for the LX-2.

I will be headed off in a few hours to Key West and Calica MX,with only my LX-1 and a borrowed Pentax W10 (for some snorkeling that I plan on doing).

This will be my first trip without my full DSLR gear; just going the P&S route.

I am sort of looking forward to it. It may be a test of my photographic eye.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
What is the latest and greatest of the SD line? Mrs A informed me that she reversed over our daughters nappy bag while on vacation last week, and in the said bag was our SD500!!!! Damn, now I have to look at a decent deal to replace it. Any other recommendations? No more than $300 and must use SD card as I have 1Gb which I would like to reuse. The rest of the camera is about as thick as a SD card from what I hear.

The sd800 with "IS" seems to be doing very very well.....

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
sony p&s's SUCK! I have first hand experience! do NOT buy one.

I'm curious as to your reason. Someone I know had Sony digi cam and the little joy stick "broke" and they had to buy another digi cam, although it was a Sony. I've seen and used it and I actually really liked it. It doesn't have any little "joy stick" or anything else that I don't think can "break" or get loose. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.