Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Guys,

Quick question, is PDF Expert still considered the best PDF reader / editor? I have some training books in PDF format that I want to read, bookmark, write notes on certain pages, etc. Thank you!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
What I like about PDF Expert, is that it's emphasized on pdf annotation. As an example: your annotations are nicely listed in a separate dropdown. Something else I use daily is a sync to a folder on google drive, allowing me to annotate documents online without downloading them to my device.
At least one bonus is also that you can create pdf documents.
So if you focus heavily and exclusively on pdf annotating, I think PD Expert is a very good option.

However, depending on your needs, a note taking app might fit the bill just as well. I use GoodNotes myself to do quite some pdf annotating, and as a bonus having other functionalities that are slightly more emphasized on hand writing and sketching.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
What I like about PDF Expert, is that it's emphasized on pdf annotation. As an example: your annotations are nicely listed in a separate dropdown. Something else I use daily is a sync to a folder on google drive, allowing me to annotate documents online without downloading them to my device.
At least one bonus is also that you can create pdf documents.
So if you focus heavily and exclusively on pdf annotating, I think PD Expert is a very good option.

However, depending on your needs, a note taking app might fit the bill just as well. I use GoodNotes myself to do quite some pdf annotating, and as a bonus having other functionalities that are slightly more emphasized on hand writing and sketching.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So since I have an iPad Air 2 (with no support for Apple Pencil), can I highlight text in PDFs and bookmark items with my finger? Or is Apple Pencil required for PDF Expert to work for basic highlighting? My edits/highlights are saved into the PDF so I can open it on a different device? Thank you.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So since I have an iPad Air 2 (with no support for Apple Pencil), can I highlight text in PDFs and bookmark items with my finger? Or is Apple Pencil required for PDF Expert to work for basic highlighting? My edits/highlights are saved into the PDF so I can open it on a different device? Thank you.

1- You can perfectly highlight text with your finger or a "dumb" stylus. PDF Expert doesn't require an Apple Pencil.
2- When you hit the Share button, you can choose the file format in which to export: as a document with editable annotations or as a flattened copy where your annotations are being embedded (protected from being edited).

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I still prefer goodreader for all round PDF reading. I like the cropping abilities (including separate crops for odd and even pages), makes it very easy to set up on almost any iOS device, and that the crop settings are preserved for each document.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I second PDF Expert. Another very nice feature not mentioned is continiuous vertical scroll. This is very handy when reading and annotating, especially when zoomed in.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I second PDF Expert. Another very nice feature not mentioned is continiuous vertical scroll. This is very handy when reading and annotating, especially when zoomed in.

Vertical scrolling is indeed handy when reading, not so sure when annotating. I often find myself scrolling by accidentally resting my handpalm on the screen while handwriting or sketching on the page (I am right handed).

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Vertical scrolling is indeed handy when reading, not so sure when annotating. I often find myself scrolling by accidentally resting my handpalm on the screen while handwriting or sketching on the page (I am right handed).

That's right. Palm protection could be improved in PDF Expert. Maybe this works better with the Apple pencil. I do a lot of typing while annotating so it is less of a problem to me.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxit-pdf-pdf-reader-editor-form-signature/id507040546?mt=8

FoxIT PDF:
http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/for...90-ios-app-can-t-receive-files-series-of-bugs

I've been using for a while, however I am currently trying to find an alternative. As you can see from the link, it's a real shame that we are unable to transfer files properly, considering the app isn't that bad.

Are there any good free alternatives? I also need an app that can change the background color of all PDFs, something Foxit can do.

Update:

I just found a better app:
https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/adobe-acrobat-reader/id469337564?mt=8

It works better than FoxIT and even has a "dark mode" that is wonderful, suitable for these tips:
http://www.displaymate.com/Displays_At_Night_1.htm#Recommendations

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.