Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I'm looking to occasionally purchase a photo magazine. However Chapters here in Canada has a fair selection of UK photo magazines... but they're around $15. I don't want to spend that much for a crap magazine. I also don't want a magazine with too much news or reviews etc... I can get that online. Basically I guess I want a Photoshop magazine for photographers, rather than geared towards graphic artists. Any suggestions?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm looking to occasionally purchase a photo magazine. However Chapters here in Canada has a fair selection of UK photo magazines... but they're around $15. I don't want to spend that much for a crap magazine. I also don't want a magazine with too much news or reviews etc... I can get that online. Basically I guess I want a Photoshop magazine for photographers, rather than geared towards graphic artists. Any suggestions?

Get the Kelby books and don't worry about periodicals, the techniques only change when PS changes and adds a new feature or easier way to do it.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Thanks guys. I may go with Photoshop user. I don't really want a "how to" book (i.e., to learn photoshop) but I do want tips I guess, and post-processing ideas that I would never have thought of.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
For the cost of a few $15 magazines you can join NAPP. It is a nice organization. You get the magazine and access to all of the stuff on the web site. I think it is $99 a year.

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
Check out digital camera magazine. It is from the UK. It is expensive, but I find that it combines photography and photoshop very well. This is my second year as a subscriber and I will probably continue it one more year. You can also check out their website. Just google digital camera magazine.

The suggestion to join the NAPP is also a good one. I am thinking of doing the same thing myself.

Hope this helps.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Kelby is the editor of Photoshop User.

I'm well aware of that, however you'll find things in his Photoshop books that aren't covered in the magazine, and they pretty-much cover what a photographer needs to know for post-processing. In particular, Photoshop for Digital Photographers and the Killer Tips books seem to have all the stuff most folks wlll need to successfully PP photos.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I really don't get the point of spending so much for these photography magazines. The tips they give you never change. They probably just rehash the same tips every 3 years.

Get a photography book. :) For reviews and such, read reviews off the net.

Want to look at photos? Go to a place like Fred Miranda, or even National Geographic, and look at those photos.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Any photographer should check out JPG Magazine. It doesn't have too much to do with photoshop, but it does have some amazing photographs.

Plus, it is all user submitted material and articles, and everyone gets to vote on what gets in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.