Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hello!

So I'm in the market for a new computer for doing recording work (voiceover, singing, etc.) and was recommended the macbook air because it's quiet and can be kept right in the booth with the microphone. I think I need one of the older models because my equipment uses the regular usb ports (usb-a?) and I understand the newer macbook airs have usb-c ports instead. Otherwise I don't have any specific specs I need other than making sure it's quiet and can handle recording and probably sound editing without issue. Preferably I'd like to spend between $600-700 or less if I can.

I was thinking of buying a refurbished one and first looked at Apple, but they only have the newer models available. Where are the next best places to get a refurbished, older macbook air? I was looking at macofalltrades and amazon but I saw some folks on these forums had bad experiences and wasn't sure if those were recommended or if the community here has any better suggestions. I'd appreciate any thoughts on where to buy from/which versions of the laptop I should be looking at. Thank you!!

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
If I were you, I wouldn’t buy an older computer just because of your equipment. If you can afford it, get the newer model and an inexpensive USB hub to plug in all your stuff.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
craigslist is a good source because you can meet the person and test the macbook.
as far as the usb, I have 3/ 7$ c-a adapters I use for the Dell XPS that reads everything

Zippy99

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
The MacBook Air has a fan, so it can get just as loud as other Mac options. The only fan-less option is the 2015-2017 MacBook 12", of which the 2017 is significantly better than 2015 and 2016. All that said, I'd be surprised if any modern Mac would blow the fan during audio recording.

I've had great luck with backmarket.com(purchased both a phone and MacBook air). They offer a wide selection, warranty and good prices. Gazelle is also reputable, but they seem to be little more expensive.

Gator1pk

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
Only place to buy a truly great refurbished Apple product is directly from Apple. Apple does a great job and it will look and function like brand new. Also comes with the regular Apple warranty and you can get Apple Care.

Go to Apple.com. Scroll to the bottom and click on “Refurbished and Clearance”.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.