Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
I have a 2009 iMac Desktop (21.5"). It came with 4GB installed memory. The 500 GB SATA HD shows 406GB free of 499GB. I'm running El Capitan ...but I really dislike the "Photos" application. The La Cie external drive for my Time Machine backups has only 122GB of backup space remaining ...and my Canon Pixma printer/scanner just bit the dust for good.

Obviously, it's time for an entirely new setup, but this Senior Citizen isn't sure where to go for the best deal/service. I reside in NJ and have easy access to the Philadelphia PA/Allentown PA/Trenton NJ area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
It depends if you want to customize or by off the shelf and If you need a lot of help with setup and carrying it to your car, then I suggest your local Apple Store. I have seen people unpack their new Imacs and set them up in store with help at the new owners table. If you don't need that level of support then B&H Photo or Best Buy, watch for sales. I just bought the midline 2017 27 inch for $100 off at Best Buy. They just had a one day sale on the top of the line 2015 27 inch for $600 off. Much better deals on the 2015 21.5 going on now.

Reactions: Ezcompane

Rivergull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
It depends if you want to customize or by off the shelf and If you need a lot of help with setup and carrying it to your car, then I suggest your local Apple Store. I have seen people unpack their new Imacs and set them up in store with help at the new owners table. If you don't need that level of support then B&H Photo or Best Buy, watch for sales. I just bought the midline 2017 27 inch for $100 off at Best Buy. They just had a one day sale on the top of the line 2015 27 inch for $600 off. Much better deals on the 2015 21.5 going on now.
I did visit Apple's online store where you can click on various options to include in your new iMac ...and that's where I get lost. I have tons of photos (many RAW format) stored in Apple "Photos" ...and I want to transfer old VHS videos to my iMac for editing (which I understand will take eat up a lot of HD space?). So I will definitely need help understanding storage needs and capacity. So buying off-the-shelf might be problematic for me. Unfortunately, I've read some negative reviews about the Apple Stores in our area. BUT... looks like I have no choice. Thanks for pointing the way!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get a 27" iMac this time -- they're just better.

You can either buy "off-the-shelf" (in which case you can get from an Apple Store, Best Buy, etc.) -- or, if you'd like to upgrade the internal fusion drive to a "straight" SSD, you can buy "build-to-order" (online from Apple).

If you get build-to-order, I think you can get that shipped to a local Apple store and the pick it up there. Or have it delivered to your home.

I would recommend that you NOT buy the "1tb fusion" and get the "2tb fusion" instead.
The 1tb version has only a 32gb SSD portion -- the 2tb has a 128gb SSD portion.

A straight SSD will offer greater speed over the life of the computer, BUT, they're more expensive.
A 256gb SSD adds $100 to the cost (build-to-order only)
A 512gb SSD adds $300 to the cost (again, build-to-order).

With a straight SSD, you'll probably have to add a "secondary storage drive" externally, and back that up, too.

For that reason, if you have LOTS of storage needs, the 2tb fusion might be "the better way to go".

You can get a 1tb SSD, but it costs $600 additional, which you may not want to spend (I wouldn't).

JD Shaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
North Carolina
B&H is a good option (very reputable). They have several configurations in stock. Better yet - you can special order almost every configuration among 50+ options.
Unfortunately B&H is now collecting sales tax for NJ (effective 2/1/17).
Definitely go with 27". I would get 256gb SSD and not fusion drive. If you need more storage down the road - a small external 500gb SSD is less than $200.
Also recommend the extended (keypad) keyboard. It's only $30 more.
If you would like more information/opinion - reply with your email address and I'll respond.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.