Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasjans

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, do you think that putting the Mac Pro on the floor is a good idea when you have a dog? I don't see any filter and am afraid the short hairs will get inside the Mac.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I don't think hair will get through. Unless you have a really hairy/dirty floor and if that is the case then you should put it on a desk, on your lap, or on any elevated platform that will make you comfortable doing your work with it.

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
good is minimum one feet high over the floor
best on the dash ; -)

Last edited by a moderator:

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Hi, do you think that putting the Mac Pro on the floor is a good idea when you have a dog? I don't see any filter and am afraid the short hairs will get inside the Mac.

I'm intrigued in the answer to this. Mainly as I run my own business as a dog photographer. So although the only dog in my office where the Mac Pro will be is my spaniel, there's often a lot of dog fur floating around the place, even though we hoover daily.

Part of me just wants to put the Mac Pro on the desk because it's such a beautiful piece of kit and I'll appreciate it more up there.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
So mine is on the floor. I remember laughing when I saw the design. And thinking that thing is gonna clog with dust. I just yesterday had to go down to get a cable. And the dust on the internal grill was so so thick. Incredibly. Not sure it it highlights poor design or it’s good because it trapped it.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
We have an office cat (Maine Coon). I checked the outside of the grill and it looks a mess of dust and fur. This weekend, I'll try to clean it. Maybe take a few pics and post. Hate to have the machine down for any length of time though.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I don't have a dog. (Serious sad reply.)
Sorry - but I've never understood the structure of these forums - I wish that it would display as a tree so that who replied to what is apparent.
[automerge]1590623270[/automerge]
We have an office cat (Maine Coon). I checked the outside of the grill and it looks a mess of dust and fur. This weekend, I'll try to clean it. Maybe take a few pics and post. Hate to have the machine down for any length of time though.
We have two Maine Coons - and the fur generation is amazing.

We have a whole house fan with the air intake grille 4m off the ground (cathedral ceiling in the great room). Every two or three months we need to get the stepladder and vacuum off the mat of cat fur on the grille.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.