Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I would like to know what everyone thinks the best point and shoot camera on the market is. I'm looking hard at the new Canon S90, is there anything else I should consider? Thanks a bunch for any insight.. :)

elitesouth

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
Savannah GA
I would suggest any Canon Digital Elph — facial recognition is cool and kinda handy.

Don't spend more than $800 for a point and click, and if you want good zoom capabilities, focus on optical zoom :) and not digital zoom :(.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I have a Canon SD790IS, I love it. It was less than $200, and takes great photos. The battery lasts quite a while too.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have a 780IS that I love, great little camera, very compact. The images are pretty outstanding and also the HD video is great. Lots of video I have of our little baby with that P&S

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I would also consider a Leica D-Lux 4.

All P&S cameras involve compromise. You just need to decide what you are willing to compromise on and what you are not willing to compromise on based on your shooting needs.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Asked the same thing this week and dug hard.
My pick for $271 at Amazon. The ZS1 which is very close picture wise and is $199 this weekend at Costco. Only difference is the ZS3 has a better display, a 10MP vs 12MP sensor and HD Vid.

25mm equivalent wide angle to 300mm equivalent zoom.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-25 at 1.02.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-25 at 1.02.55 PM.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 89

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I would like to know what everyone thinks the best point and shoot camera on the market is. I'm looking hard at the new Canon S90, is there anything else I should consider? Thanks a bunch for any insight.. :)

Your question is basically the same as "What's the best car?". There is no right answer. The best camera for me may not be the best camera for you.

At the very least, to help you decide, people need budget, physical size of camera and expected subjects in your photos.

For cost is no object probably a Leica or maybe something like an Olympus Pen, for cost matters a little, but photo quality matters more, something like Canon G series or some Panasonic cameras. In general, the larger the camera, the larger the lenses (and maybe sensor too), the better the pictures. None of the above cameras are very small. If having it fit easily in your pocket is important, all of the above cameras will not work for you. Let us know what your constraints are and I'm sure people will try to help you out.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I would also consider a Leica D-Lux 4.

All P&S cameras involve compromise. You just need to decide what you are willing to compromise on and what you are not willing to compromise on based on your shooting needs.

Unless you're the sort of person who likes paying a $300 premium just to have a pretty little red dot on your camera, the Panasonic LX3 would be a better choice. Apart from some minor differences in jpeg (but not raw) processing, they are exactly the same camera. And the LX3 is once again readily available, after being difficult to keep on the shelves until now. It's really a no-brainer, choosing between the two. Of course, I love my D-LUX 4 and its pretty red dot.

As far as the S90, it seems to have better handling than any other compact on the market, and has a lens that strikes a good compromise between large aperture (f/2 on the wide end) and zoom (28-105mm equiv). I'd get one if I didn't already have a D-LUX 4.

Of course, if you want a telephoto zoom, none of these cameras will be suitable. Since the S90 is your jumping off point for this thread, I'm assuming that's not the case.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

First question is "Do you have a budget?"
Look at Leica's "d-lux" line or Canon's G11

Do you need "point and shoot" or do you meand "compact" if the later and there is no budget Leica makes a nice "M8.2"

But maybe you want something small enough for a back pocket?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
The "budget" Leicas are basically Lumix's. I happen to like them, and they're a great alternative to Canon's, especially if you like wider angle lenses and 16x9 format video.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Do you need "point and shoot" or do you meand "compact" if the later and there is no budget Leica makes a nice "M8.2"

Leica also makes a "nice" M9, too. Why suggest an old model for a hypothetical someone who has an unlimited budget? Speaking of which, if you want to pay $1500 for a compact, wait for the Leica X1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.