Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm curious to know how people go about changing lenses while on the move (e.g. while hiking) so as to avoid getting dust inside the camera. There are a lot of steps: remove lens 1, (apply body cap?), remove rear lens cap from lens 2, attached lens 2, attach rear lens cap to lens 1. If you don't have a table or good surface handy, how do you do it? Any tips?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Sit down. Don't drop anything.

You shouldn't be switching lenses that often; when I take my D70 backpacking I go with 1 lens, 2 batteries, and however much memory I need (now, with my 8gb card, probably 1 card; yes, I risk losing everything).

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have the other lens ready with cap off and just take the one I don't want off, put it down on the ground (or wherever I am) and pop the new one on. Then I put the cap on the old lens. I also turn the camera off before (heard that there is less chance of dust attracting to the sensor with the camera off, but don't know if that really works or not)

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
I just do it as quick as I can and get the end cap on the lens I took off as quick as I can. When you get a chance (back at your car or whatever) use a blower to get any dust that may have gone into the camera out. You shouldn't have to worry about it that much.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
FWIW ... I don't usually put the body cap on the camera while changing lenses - I try to get the whole thing done very quickly.

When I hike with my camera(s), it's usually with a camera backpack or, at the least, a camera shoulder bag. If I need to change lenses I try to find a stable place and lay the bag down and make the change literally in the bag. I take off the one lens, put on it's cap, put it in the bag, take the cap off the other lens, and put it on the camera. all happens pretty quickly.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I have the other lens ready with cap off and just take the one I don't want off, put it down on the ground (or wherever I am) and pop the new one on. Then I put the cap on the old lens. I also turn the camera off before (heard that there is less chance of dust attracting to the sensor with the camera off, but don't know if that really works or not)

I think the current running through the chip does attract more dust. (static electricity?)

Do you put the body cap on the camera during a lens change?

No. But I do prioritize based on lens cost (well, both cost and longevity; an equally priced lens will take priority over the body):

If I'm changing my 18-70 (<$500) on my D300, I'll put the next lens on the D300 before I cover the 18-70; if, however, I'm taking my 70-200 ($1800+) off, I'll cover it before the D300.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm curious to know how people go about changing lenses while on the move (e.g. while hiking) so as to avoid getting dust inside the camera. There are a lot of steps: remove lens 1, (apply body cap?), remove rear lens cap from lens 2, attached lens 2, attach rear lens cap to lens 1. If you don't have a table or good surface handy, how do you do it? Any tips?

I think I use these steps:
  1. Take the lens off the body.
  2. remove end cap from new lens and place it on old lens
  3. put new lens on body.

When the lens is not on the body I normally place them front side down to they rest on the from lens cap of hood, they don't roll that way.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ That's exactly how I do it. I also try to keep my camera body pointed down while there's no lens on it so there's less chance of any particles drifting down into the sensor area.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Always over my gear bag and always with the body pointing downward. Quick and steady.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I try to use the camera bag as a support if there is no table or other stable surface at hand. I select the lens I'm about to put on the camera, leave it in the bag but loosen the rear lens cap and then remove the lens that's on the camera. I quickly grab the loosened lens cap from the lens I'm about to put on the camera, slip that on to the lens I've just removed, and then immediately put the next lens on the camera. I do not put a body cap on the body in between, as there is usually not much of a time lag. When I'm finished for the day I locate all caps and am ready to grab what I need so that the process goes quickly: lens removed, lens cap slipped on, body cap slipped on to the body, then everything safely tucked away....

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I just want to add that I turn the camera off before switching lenses. It's probably not necessary but I have had a couple times when the lens was seated properly but the D300 didn't "see" the new lens. I've found that this doesn't occur if I power down and back up after swapping lenses.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for all the replies! Gotta love this forum.

I really appreciate all the tips. I was wondering yesterday, as I was hiking and changing lenses **while walking**, how people manage such a tricky maneuver. Now I know: they don't! :eek:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I take the cap off the new lens before unscrewing the lens from the body.
That way I can attach the new lens almost instantly after I have removed the lens.

New lens in left hand, body in lap facing upwards, unscrew lens with right hand, attach new lens with left hand immediately afterwards.
Body facing up or down…? dust goes up just as much as it does down around here. The sensor attracts more dust as it is charged, I would assume it is more charged whilst the camera is turned on.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I've done some lens changes while in situations that aren't "lens change friendly". I keep the neck strap on, open the camera bag, unscrew the cap from the new lens, remove the other lens from the camera, put the end cap on it and slip it in the bag. Then pick up the new lens and put it on. It usually takes me about 20-30 seconds. I do it calmly, but quickly.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
I usually will get my lens ready by unscrewing the bottom cap but leaving it on to prevent dust from getting onto it. I then unscrew my lens from the camera and leave it on the camera body. As quickly as possible, I pick up the lens from the camera and put the cap from the other lens and put it on the lens I just took from the camera. Then I pick up the other lens, line it up carefully, and screw it in place. If I feel it's necessary, I use a blower to get any dust off of the lens before I put it on the camera. The whole procedure usually takes 10-15 seconds. Speed and care are both necessary. Do it on a flat surface whenever possible, and (obviously) away from dust.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for all the replies! Gotta love this forum.

I really appreciate all the tips. I was wondering yesterday, as I was hiking and changing lenses **while walking**, how people manage such a tricky maneuver. Now I know: they don't! :eek:

I've changed lenses while jogging to a scene. It is possible, safe if you're quick and steady, and easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.