Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm looking into taking some HDR shots and I was wondering if there was any special software out there to make it easier to blend the images, or if Photoshop is easy enough. :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you already own or were planning on buying photoshop it is good for making HDR and not too hard to figure that part out.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I second the HDR Soft notion and their Photomatix Pro software. Since you are getting Photoshop, here is a tutorial made by Trey Ratcliff where he uses both Photomatix Pro and Photoshop to make HDR images. His HDR work is really nice and this is a superb tutorial if you have both Photomatix Pro and Photoshop.

Link to tutorial: http://stuckincustoms.com/?p=548

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I really like Photomatix. Haven't really had any experience with the HDR stuff in Photoshop, but Photomatix puts out good results.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Just tried out Photomatix Pro. Didn't really know exactly what I was meant to be doing, but I tried my best and here's my first attempt at HDR.

486113051_7e8d9cac86.jpg

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I used Photomatix for a while but then went back to Photoshop for my HDR.

Both programs produce interesting results but i think Photoshop lets you be more expressive, as its HDR conversion is less automated than Photomatix. So if you know Photoshop and you know how to use Curves you can achieve a lot more with it IMO.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Both programs produce interesting results but i think Photoshop lets you be more expressive, as its HDR conversion is less automated than Photomatix. So if you know Photoshop and you know how to use Curves you can achieve a lot more with it IMO.

I hate saying that anyone is wrong, but.. the default photoshop hdr plugin is lacking compared to photomatix.

hdrsoft has a tutorial here:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/tutorial_basic/index.html
the next and back button on the tutorial are not located in the best place (upper left corner) but the tutorial is ok.. another great tutorial is the one that Martin C already linked:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/tutorial_basic/index.html

Photomatix Basic 1.2 (the free one) is windows only and very simple. Photomatix Pro is the one you want, but it costs $99 :(

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I hate saying that anyone is wrong, but.. the default photoshop hdr plugin is lacking compared to photomatix.

Lacking in what part? I haven't found anything that Photomatix does and PS doesn't. Photomatix saturates colors by default and 'compresses' the curve to give you instant, catchy results. PS on the other hand does not mess with color saturation, as you can do that later, and gives you far more control as you can adjust the curves by yourself.

Also PS CS3 image alignment purely rocks, it cannot be compared to Photomatix's one so if you shoot without a tripod most of the times like i do its a lifesaver.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Lacking in what part? I haven't found anything that Photomatix does and PS doesn't. Photomatix saturates colors by default and 'compresses' the curve to give you instant, catchy results. PS on the other hand does not mess with color saturation, as you can do that later, and gives you far more control as you can adjust the curves by yourself.

It's all very subjective. So, I really dislike, as I said, saying someone is wrong or not.. Unless CS3 hdr plugin has changed drastically, then other people agree with me (emphasis mine):

If you’ve used the HDR features in Adobe Photoshop CS2, these steps will seem familiar. In my tests, though, Photomatix Pro provided more control and more pleasing results than did Photoshop CS2. Photoshop’s tone-mapping features often yield images that lack contrast and punch.

that's from the review in here. more control over it doesnt mean it's prettier. More control is objective since it's a fact that is not influenced by what you think, feel, etc.

At the other hand, as I said, how pretty the results are is subjective, as you might not like the results from one or the other (or both).

But with more controls, I'm pretty sure you can find a setting that would allow you to have the result you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.