Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james.w.lane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Davenport, IA
Just got a new MacBook Pro for work and I am looking for the best dock to use as a paired programming station. Bare minimum I will need it to have Ethernet, run two monitors (HDMI, DVI), and at least two USB ports for two keyboards and mice.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

James W. Lane

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
They all have that. You have to realize that almost all Thunderbolt docks are based on Intel's reference design. All have one or two exclusive ports, or a particular design, but your needs are so common that they all offer that.

So to list what's particularly novel about a dock... Belkin has 2 audio out. Caldigit has 2x eSATA, Kensington has a VESA mounting option, OWC has S/PDIF and FireWire. And then there's Elgato and Plugable don't have anything noteworthy beyond the usual stuff.

Noteworthy IMHO is Mantiz. It has a VGA port and is very, very affordable.
https://mymantiz.com/products/md-01-zeus

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
OWC apparently has some issues. That's the first dock that I got, and it ended up dying. Customer service was unbearably slow, so I returned the dock and got one from Pluggable. I chose these docks for the larger number of USB-A ports. The Mantiz (above) looks like it has the best video output options. If you're not hungry for USB-A ports or an SD reader, Mantiz is probably the best way to go.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I have the Kensington TB3 dock, With a lg4k utrafine plugged in via the dock. I must say it is incredibly stable, never a problem, unlike some previous experiences with OWC.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I'm looking for a TB3 dock/dongle/adapter that will give me more USB-C ports. Are there any out there or is daisy chaining still the only way to multiply the number of ports?

djt01

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
I’ve been using OWC’s Thunderbolt 3 Dock since last summer and just purchased the CalDigit TS3 Plus about a month ago.

I haven’t had any issues with either dock and I regularly boot from external SSD’s via USB Type-C enclosures (OWC’s Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini) running MacOS and Windows 10. I’ve also connected to multiple 4K displays using the display ports without any problems.

If I had to choose one I’d probably go for the CalDigit TS3 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.