Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I've used a variety of USB-C docking station solutions for my M1 MacBook Pro, and unfortunately, I have been having constant issues with them. The OWC Thunderbolt 3 docking station was one that I've had the fewest issues with, but they ultimately breakdown after a couple months of usage. One of main issues I get with docking stations is that they don't consistently stay connected to the internet via their ethernet port. The Mac will ultimately lose ethernet connection after going to sleep. The only solution seems to be restarting the MacBook while it is docked. Recently, I thought upgrading to a thunderbolt 4 dock like the ECHO 11 would resolve my issues and be the end all docking solutions. But it wasn't, and it seems to cause more issues than most docks I've used. Not only does it lose internet access, but sometimes the USB ports on the back will completely shut off and I have to power cycle the device.

So I'm asking the community here. What docks are you using now that works consistently? In this case, I needed a dock made for creatives; that would be able to support Hi-res video output and have an SD card reader port.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Hi! I’ve been using this since I purchased my M1 MBP 16GB/2TB:

It’s replaced my 2015 MBP, also using an OWC dock. I do have another off brand hub hooked up, mainly just for more storage. I think I’ve got 8 drives plugged in? I use mine as a Channels DVR server and run some VM’s while I’m at home. I’ve got a Dell monitor connected to the dock. It’s coming up on a year for me now, and I’m pretty happy with this dock. I’d buy it again if I had to.

My only issue has been the number of drives & connections, and I think a lot of that has to do with the way the M1’s are built. I think there’s only a certain number of “lanes” or throughput options? Per USB-C port, too? I’m not too hip on the exact technicalities of it all. Bandwidth goes down the more I connect. And I demand a lot from mine. And so far everything’s working well!

I’d like a USB-C port hub w/ like 8 USB 3.0 ports on it. That, along with this Belkin hub, and I’m great.

fogrover

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
I have been thinking of buying a docking station to go with my soon-to-arrive 16” M1 MacBook Pro. The specs say it uses a 140W USB-C Power Adapter. None of the current docks that I have found have that kind of power. Should I wait for new ones to be released?

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Hi! I’ve been using this since I purchased my M1 MBP 16GB/2TB:

It’s replaced my 2015 MBP, also using an OWC dock. I do have another off brand hub hooked up, mainly just for more storage. I think I’ve got 8 drives plugged in? I use mine as a Channels DVR server and run some VM’s while I’m at home. I’ve got a Dell monitor connected to the dock. It’s coming up on a year for me now, and I’m pretty happy with this dock. I’d buy it again if I had to.

My only issue has been the number of drives & connections, and I think a lot of that has to do with the way the M1’s are built. I think there’s only a certain number of “lanes” or throughput options? Per USB-C port, too? I’m not too hip on the exact technicalities of it all. Bandwidth goes down the more I connect. And I demand a lot from mine. And so far everything’s working well!

I’d like a USB-C port hub w/ like 8 USB 3.0 ports on it. That, along with this Belkin hub, and I’m great.
I've used one of those, unfortunately, it did not last too long either. Maybe the one I got was a dud? Hopefully Belkin releases a new updated model.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I have been thinking of buying a docking station to go with my soon-to-arrive 16” M1 MacBook Pro. The specs say it uses a 140W USB-C Power Adapter. None of the current docks that I have found have that kind of power. Should I wait for new ones to be released?
That's a great point. Maybe it would be best to wait in that case. Hopefully someone comes around with a decent dock.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
I've read that the USB-C ports can't accept 140W of power, so you won't be able to fast charge the 16" MBP through a dock. I believe it will still charge, but not as fast as with the 140W charger.

fogrover

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
I've read that the USB-C ports can't accept 140W of power, so you won't be able to fast charge the 16" MBP through a dock. I believe it will still charge, but not as fast as with the 140W charger.
So, a dock with a 100w charging capability would do just fine (except if you wanted to power other devices and in those cases you would want more wattage). I think my plan is to keep the charger that comes with the computer available for travel and have a docking station charging the computer at my desk. But I'm in no rush buying a docking station. I will wait to see what comes on the market in the next 3-6 months.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
This OWC Thunderbolt Dock is the only TB4 dock currently available.

TB4 is important because minimum PCIe data requirements have increased from 16Gbps to 32Gbps. This means that high-speed external storage will see better transfer rates and performance (if they are fast enough to take advantage of the increased bandwidth). It also ensures compatibility with USB4 and enables you to run two 4K monitors from a single port.

The new 140 Watt Apple charger is currently the only charger that supports USB PD 3.1 and fast charge.

Reactions: willtravel42

fogrover

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016

TB4 is important because minimum PCIe data requirements have increased from 16Gbps to 32Gbps. This means that high-speed external storage will see better transfer rates and performance (if they are fast enough to take advantage of the increased bandwidth). It also ensures compatibility with USB4 and enables you to run two 4K monitors from a single port.

The new 140 Watt Apple charger is currently the only charger that supports USB PD 3.1 and fast charge.
So, it's not only wattage but the version of TB on the unit (TB4). This is very good information.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why hasn't anyone talk about the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub ?
In some reviews where they compare the OWS, the Caldigit, and the Anker, the devices are so close in features and function that they speculate that they are really the same unit packaged into different cases. The only real difference seems be that the Caldigit includes 4 USB-A ports and the others only 1. Supplies are tight for both of them right now.

MikeNielsen

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
I'm also considering changing my CalDigit TS3+ with a Echo 11 Thunderbolt 4, but I'm worried as I've had unstable docks in the past. What made mine run stable was NOT running the display through the dock, but instead cabling both the dock and the display directly to my Mac. I would love for the display to be connected to the dock, so I just have to plug in one thing - Sonnet claims that you can run the XDR display through the Echo 11.

Did anyone have experience with the Echo 11 Thunderbolt 4 dock yet?

Also, regarding the Ethernet problems, it seems like this has been acknowledge as a problem in at least Monterey: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/29/monterey-usb-hub-issues-reported/

I did notice the ethernet problems after Monterey update on my Intel Macbook Pro, but I haven't experience it with my new Macbook Pro 14 with M1 Max.

Dembo

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
London, UK / Frankfurt, Germany

I got the OWC and it works perfectly - keeps my 14'' M1 Max at 100% during a 45min BluRay encode. I am sure I can stress the system harder if try to but so far I am very happy. You have to factor in a TB to (dual) DisplayPort and/or HDMI adapter and whatever your needs for USB ports are but the tree setup isn't too bad and things are running smooth.

Reactions: satcomer

PeterFitch

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Just today I started using the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 Dock which I had hoped would work with both the ThinkPad and the new MacBook Pro 14” M1 Pro (unbinned). I‘m still experiencing some issues. I have two external Monitors (Dell S2721DGFA) connected to the Docking Station via HDMI and the other over Display Port. However, the Mac only shows one external monitor in display settings (experienced flickering with only one monitor when I started but had to manually set the refresh rate to 60 Hz instead of the default 165 Hz). Unfortunately it just mirrors both screens and I cannot use two externals seperately. Any ideas anyone?

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
I just got the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 hub and so far its working OK.

My intention is to use the MBP in clamshell mode most of the time when I'm at the desk. I think the biggest hang up there is you have to set the MBP not to sleep. If you let it go to sleep, it won't wake up properly without you opening the lid.

I tried the OWC Thunderbolt hub first since it was cheaper, but it barely worked. Peripherals were not recognized most of the time when connecting to the MBP. I would constantly have to shuffle cables to get something working, which defeated the purpose of a hub.

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
With my Caldigit TB 4 hub it charges the MBP at 60W I believe. Which is fine, it doesn't make any difference. I'm not plugging it into the hub for the purposes of fast charging. It gets plugged into the hub when being set down to work at the desk for hours or days at a time.

I put the MagSafe charger in my bag for use when away from the desk, makes more sense to use it then.

Reactions: imax05 and fogrover

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021

PeterFitch

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Just today I started using the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 Dock which I had hoped would work with both the ThinkPad and the new MacBook Pro 14” M1 Pro (unbinned). I‘m still experiencing some issues. I have two external Monitors (Dell S2721DGFA) connected to the Docking Station via HDMI and the other over Display Port. However, the Mac only shows one external monitor in display settings (experienced flickering with only one monitor when I started but had to manually set the refresh rate to 60 Hz instead of the default 165 Hz). Unfortunately it just mirrors both screens and I cannot use two externals seperately. Any ideas anyone?
If anyone is interested, using the second monitor over Thunderbolt (I am using the USB-C dongle from Apple and an HDMI cable) and setting both screens to 60Hz works just fine. I have now two independent external screens when working with the MBP 14 M1 Pro.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

Wow. USB 2.0 on the front port? It's 2021 folks.
Get the CalDigit 3 folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.