Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennis8668

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I'm looking for a dslr that can take at least 720p video for under 1000 dollars.

I have a few nikon lenses already so I've been looking at the D90, but the jello effect it experiences is very disheartening.

Are there other <1k dslrs that can take video without as much of a jello effect (or none at all)? I do have some nikon lenses already but I would be interested in knowing about other camera body options not specific to nikon.

Also, is the jello effect hypothetically fixable through a firmware update or would a fix require new hardware?

Thank you,
tennis8668

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
You pretty much have 2. The D90 or the Canon Rebel T1i. The Rebel has the upper hand in resolution at 1080P, but only at 20fps so it's more a feature of the camera than a useful selling point. If you want a nice selection of sub $1K VDSLR you'll have to wait another year or two until Video works it's way into all the bodies.

You pretty much want to go the Canon route though, as they seem to be taking Video more 'seriously' than Nikon is, both it terms of resolution (1080P vs 720P) and File Format (.mov H.264 vs Motion JPG). All suffer from rolling shutter, but unless you're shooting a car chase scene, is it really going to be that big of a deal breaker?

Right now you're much better off saving more money and buying a 7D, it's by far the most robust VDSLR for the price. Nobody that's a heavy VDSLR movie maker is using the Rebel, and I don't hear much about the D90 at all.

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
i have a d80 and then bought the d90 for its video capabilities along with its easy of use for me. I did go out and see the d90 and t1i and just like the d90 better.

so what you have to do is actually go to a camera store and look at both the d90 and t1i, which are both good cameras for still and video, and see which one feels and holds better as well as the ease of use for yourself as everyone has their own likings.

just my .02 here.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I bought a D90 last year and have been pretty happy with the video. I don't notice the jello effect all that much. Just don't pan the camera too quickly. It does a great job for the short little clips I take.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I like the features of the D90 compared to the d5000 and the t1i, the 24fps as opposed to the 30fps and would have liked 1080 but since it isn't available at 24fps at that price point my choice has been easy.
The jello effect is really not that noticeable if you don't pan a lot or quickly.. And it's also visible on a lot more pricier cameras, it's the hardware..
There is a software that will sort of eliminate the effect for you, can't find it, there used to be a video on YouTube

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.