Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mivoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
What is the best way to disable system services (on Monterey)? As an example I'd like to completely remove bluetoothd (among others).

Usually you use launchctl but afaik this does not work on system services. Another approach is to move the plist file. I tried that and it works in general after following the procedure here: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649832 (last post)
But this does not seem to be perfect, some processes consume much CPU after reboot like launchd, airplay stuff etc
So maybe they require bluetoothd or just moving the plist is the wrong approach because it does not care about dependencies.

Is there some way to remove also dependencies e.g. with launchctl? The changes should be persistent after reboot.

mivoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
Ahh I already came across this useful gist :) and already used that script. The problem currently is not to get rid of the services but that afterwards launchd and others hog the CPU (at least in case of removing bluetoothd). Some other services, in particular those in the gist I could remove without issues.

mivoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2022
I always ask the macOSers why they never question what is running on their systems. btw it is not random parts but parts I don't need. Even if you don't use icloud, facetime, siri you still find related processes running in the back.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
MacRumors - Some macOS 12.2 Users Experiencing Bluetooth-Related Battery Drain Issue During Sleep Mode
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/30/macos-12-2-bluetooth-battery-drain/
Apple made some significant changes to Bluetooth in Monterey https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/364
Apple even added to Monterey a tool previously found only in iOS /usr/sbin/BlueTool
Be sure to disable all related launch agents/daemons
/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.bluetoothUIServer.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.bluetoothuiservice.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.BlueTool.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.bluetoothd.plist

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Case in Point; I'm running a 2017 MBA. According to this chart on Eclectic Light, my system isn't supported for these features: Low Power Mode, Universal Control, FaceTime spatial audio and mike modes, Object Capture, FaceTime Portrait Mode, Maps interactive globe, city experiences. They are still running on my system, especially Universal Control. Those are the types of processes I'd want to stop. Why Apple doesn't disable those unsupported (on my laptop) system processes is a mystery.

I'd run Mojave, but stopping the system upgrade notification banners in the upper right is a daunting task. I don't think anyone's figured how to stop them yet.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I'd run Mojave, but stopping the system upgrade notification banners in the upper right is a daunting task. I don't think anyone's figured how to stop them yet.
I thought I read somewhere that if you download the installer into the Applications folder (but don't actually use it) then that would end the nags. May just be a false memory (I'm getting to that age).

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I thought I read somewhere that if you download the installer into the Applications folder (but don't actually use it) then that would end the nags. May just be a false memory (I'm getting to that age).
I have a blank file named "Install macOS Monterey.app" in the Applications folder, and it's set uchg so no one can touch it. Mixed results. I only have a 128 GB drive, and really don't want 12.3 GB of unusable space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.