Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Hi,

I've got around 1200 photo's in my LR library that have been edited etc. I need to move the whole library to my new mac, but keep the files structure, history and organization the same.

The photo's were imported from one location to Lightroom, but once in LR I edit them and create new folder, this is reflected in the Finder.

I know there is a back-up utility within LR, but I need to move all the Photo from their original location...

I have a 500GB External HD.

Thank You

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
Simple.

First, make sure all your photos inside Lightroom (however you have them organized) are listed in one over-arching folder. Mine for example, is just called 2009 - Pictures . This step isn't 100% necessary, but will make your life easier.

Second, move that folder with all your photos to your new computer.

Third, move the Lightroom catalog ( [Username]>Pictures>Lightroom i believe] ) to the new machine, in the same folder.

Now, on the new machine start-up Lightroom and open that catalog. If some of your folder names have changed (likely) Lightroom will show your folders and photos as "missing". Right click the overarching folder and choose "Find Missing Folder". Then, navigate and select the moved folder.

Lightroom will drill down and find the rest.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Simple.

First, make sure all your photos inside Lightroom (however you have them organized) are listed in one over-arching folder. Mine for example, is just called 2009 - Pictures . This step isn't 100% necessary, but will make your life easier.

Second, move that folder with all your photos to your new computer.

Third, move the Lightroom catalog ( [Username]>Pictures>Lightroom i believe] ) to the new machine, in the same folder.

Now, on the new machine start-up Lightroom and open that catalog. If some of your folder names have changed (likely) Lightroom will show your folders and photos as "missing". Right click the overarching folder and choose "Find Missing Folder". Then, navigate and select the moved folder.

Lightroom will drill down and find the rest.

And will this also save all the metadata, history etc.

Thank You

EDIT : Just tested this and it works prefectly :D Thanks !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.