Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I just picked up a dual 1.25 MDD for free from a friend who had it sitting in their basement, last used in 2010. I brought it home and tried starting it, but the power button lights up, then dies. Based on some googling, this seems to be a sign of a dead PSU, which seems fairly common on these. I want to get this running somehow, as the case is one of my favorites. Is it best to buy a refurb power supply, have it rebuilt, or mod a PC power supply, which apparently can't power the ADC connector. Is one of these options better than the others? They all seem to have a similar price tag.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Ive got 2 MDDs and both had flaky/failing PSUs. The dual 1.42 will power on using the ADC display button on a 20-23" display, but not a 17 which I can only assume has to do with the lower power draw of the 17. If you've got an ADC monitor you can use, you might try using its power button. This machine also likes to be plugged in for a while before it'll go on. If it is unplugged for a while, it doesn't come on immediately. The other machine was very bad and would rarely come one. I finally just got a used PSU from eBay.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hmm, I vote for used/NOS power supply. If my MDD psu suddenly failed, well I don’t know any repair ppl in town who’d do it cheap, & Im not going to dick around trying to get an atx psu to work, so a used eBay refirb is the path I’d take.

And a dual 1.25ghz MDD is certainly worth it IMO. Best of luck on the repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.