Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hello I want to know the best way to work with pictures on a external usb 2.0 drive. The problem I've encountered using iPhoto is, after I've moved all my pictures from "originals" in the iPhoto folder to the external drive, then deleted the pics (which causes iPhoto to crash if you try to open a photo anyway because the link to the picture file is broken), anyway I try to load the photos back in (from the external HD) but it just recopies the pictures back to the main HD.

Anyone have recommendations or advice on how to be working with pictures from an external drive? Is iPhoto too limited? Thanks

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Hello I want to know the best way to work with pictures on a external usb 2.0 drive. The problem I've encountered using iPhoto is, after I've moved all my pictures from "originals" in the iPhoto folder to the external drive, then deleted the pics (which causes iPhoto to crash if you try to open a photo anyway because the link to the picture file is broken), anyway I try to load the photos back in (from the external HD) but it just recopies the pictures back to the main HD.

Anyone have recommendations or advice on how to be working with pictures from an external drive? Is iPhoto too limited? Thanks

AFAIK iphoto puts the pictures into the iPhoto library file. I would say move that to the external, but on a usb 2.0 drive, it will be dog slow. If you got the option, use firewire 400 or better yet 800

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
AFAIK iphoto puts the pictures into the iPhoto library file. I would say move that to the external, but on a usb 2.0 drive, it will be dog slow. If you got the option, use firewire 400 or better yet 800

Ok well I'm using a Macbook and I don't like dealing with power supplies either.

Found http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229

Wish I had done that first instead of just copying everything out of the Originals folder but I'll get it in order. Rather just have Lightroom 2 but daang $300

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Ok well I'm using a Macbook and I don't like dealing with power supplies either.

Found http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229

Wish I had done that first instead of just copying everything out of the Originals folder but I'll get it in order. Rather just have Lightroom 2 but daang $300

is it a unibody macbook? Otherwise get a fw400 drive and use it. They do make bus powered ones, like my little LaCie 250gb portable (forget its real name) ,or like the WD Passports.

lightroom or aperture are inherently better, but yeah, 200 bucks. IMO worth it, aperture has paid back in dividends what I spent on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.