Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Right now I am fine using Flickr and/or my .Mac w/iWEb and since I will only be doing photography as a hobby right now, I don't see myself needing my own site, but I am wondering what is the best pay web hosting site if/when I outgrow my free options.

Also, what should I look for in a web hosting site? (bandwidth limits, file size limits, etc.)

Thanks.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Browse through the Web Design and Development forum. There are many threads about hosting in there.

Generally around here, A Small Orange gets the thumbs up.

Here's a list of hosts that have been recommended on these forums:
Dream Host
A Small Orange
Has Web
Neureal
Aplus
Media Temple
Lunar Pages
TJR Networks
Myacen
Fat Cow

Mark Scheuern

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Michigan
It depends on exactly what you're looking for but PhotoShelter is great. You can use it as an archive, for print sales, and for rights-managed licensing. A recent feature is the ability to use FotoQuote to set prices. You can also customize the look and feel as well as set up virtual stock agencies with other photographers. Very flexible and cool and they're nice people to work with. I'm with them and I also have a portfolio site through liveBooks, which I also highly recommend. I'm in the process of having my PhotoShelter site integrated into liveBooks so that the archive, print sales, and licensing are combined with my main liveBooks portfolio site.

If you're just looking for hosting so you can roll your own rather than something specific for professional photographers, I can recommend Pair. The various plans give you options like CGI scripting and mySQL databases. It's Unix-based, which I like.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.