Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captaindj2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
HI All,

I have 2016 MBP retina and 2013+ Apple Airport extreme. I currently have ATT fiber 1gbt plan. I'm constantly getting a 345mbps connection directly from att wifi.

I'm ready to add my airport to the network. what's my best config?

1. hook it up to router with cat 5 and connect wifi to Mbps

or

2. wifi from att to extreme and wire to Mbps

or

3?

I'm going 35' from att to mbp with only 1 wall between.

thanks, everyone!

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
What are you trying to achieve with the AirPort Extreme? are you making a second network? Providing internet access in a room where the wifi doesn't reach???

If you currently get fast internet from the current wifi, then what is the AirPort Extreme adding??

What your trying to achieve helps with the setup. If you are providing wifi in a blackspot as a new network, then hardwire for example. It sounds like you already have wifi from ATT router??

captaindj2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
What are you trying to achieve with the AirPort Extreme? are you making a second network? Providing internet access in a room where the wifi doesn't reach???

If you currently get fast internet from the current wifi, then what is the AirPort Extreme adding??

What your trying to achieve helps with the setup. If you are providing wifi in a blackspot as a new network, then hard wire for example. It sounds like you already have wifi from ATT router??

Hi Qzzb,

the main reason is to provide a backup location and storage The gigabit router functionality is a bonus of the externe.

make sense?

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
So you have a Time Capsule rather than the AirPort Extreme.

AirPort Extreme is router only, the Time Capsule is a router with a hard drive. If your using the hard drive for storage or Time Machine would suggest connecting via ethernet, will get the fastest connection then. If you don't have Wifi problems, then I wouldn't bother with using the router, it will mean you have two networks and it won't give you a faster connection to the internet than your getting through the modem.

If you plug it in via ethernet you can access the disk anywhere on your network over the ATT router Wifi as well, so don't need to use the apple router to access the disk drive, it will work over the current wifi network

captaindj2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
So you have a Time Capsule rather than the AirPort Extreme.

AirPort Extreme is router only, the Time Capsule is a router with a hard drive. If your using the hard drive for storage or Time Machine would suggest connecting via ethernet, will get the fastest connection then. If you don't have Wifi problems, then I wouldn't bother with using the router, it will mean you have two networks and it won't give you a faster connection to the internet than your getting through the modem.

If you plug it in via ethernet you can access the disk anywhere on your network over the ATT router Wifi as well, so don't need to use the apple router to access the disk drive, it will work over the current wifi network

ahh yes, my mistake!

thank you very much for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.