Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbrass84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Looking for suggestions for surround sound or even just a couple external speakers that work well with the Apple TV 4. In the past I had a system that had an Optical Audio port, but as the newest Apple TV nixed that, it wouldn't work with it. What do you find that works well with the Apple TV for wireless?

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Looking for suggestions for surround sound or even just a couple external speakers that work well with the Apple TV 4. In the past I had a system that had an Optical Audio port, but as the newest Apple TV nixed that, it wouldn't work with it. What do you find that works well with the Apple TV for wireless?

I use Sonos but there are cheaper solutions I'm sure. Initial investment can be a hurdle.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Check your TV if it has a Optical Out port on the back and get yourself a good cheaper receiver with some bookshelf speakers and an Optical In!

The wireless speeds in the Apple TV are AC for the quickest speeds.

HarrisK

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
[doublepost=1471611501][/doublepost]I had the same problem. I purchased a Pioneer SC-91 receiver and played Apple TV through that receiver. I used wired surround sound speakers. I attempted Toslink splitter and other splitters, but nothing worked as well as this arrangement.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I'd recommend getting a receiver with some speakers and doing a proper home theater setup. I'm running 3.1 'surround' at the moment and finishing out the rest for 5.1 soon. Got a budget in mind?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.