Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do your iPhone cables break easily?

• Total voters

Stevo41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
I am so sick of my iPhone cables constantly breaking. Iv'e found a lot of good third party cables out there like Belkin but I think I found my new cable. I think its by Geeks Garage but as with anything on amazon theres just a bunch of keywords in the name to attract buyers - whatever. Anyway I got a notification from this channel I'm subscribed to this morning and thought you guys might be interested as well.

I'm wording mine today and I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What do you do with your cable?

I still have lightning cables from when we got our iPhone 5's (5 not 5s) and the ones from our 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ and iPad Air 2s have enabled us to have multiple cables.

Since 2012 I have replaced exactly ONE lightning cable although I have purchased others for additional outlets.

My son on the other hand has replaced more than one, but after I told him the next cable was on him that problem mysteriously disappeared.

Our lightning cables tend to get used once per day when we plug into power at night.

Again, what are you doing with your cables that this is a problem?

Reactions: ABC5S

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Mine thus far has lasted over 2 1/2 years from my iPhone 5 days now using it for my iPhone 8+. I do not pull my cable but from the connector (tip) to the phone. If you do it often enough, it’s going to break.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never had issues with my cables. And I own many of them. Sometimes it's how you treat your property. But I understand not everything is manufactured perfectly either.

Stevo41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015

I still have lightning cables from when we got our iPhone 5's (5 not 5s) and the ones from our 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ have enabled us to have multiple cables.

Since 2012 I have replaced exactly ONE lightning cable although I have purchased others for additional outlets.

My son on the other hand has replaced more than one, but after I told him the next cable was on him that problem mysteriously disappeared.

Our lightning cables tend to get used once per day when we plug into power at night.

I mostly

I still have lightning cables from when we got our iPhone 5's (5 not 5s) and the ones from our 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ and iPad Air 2s have enabled us to have multiple cables.

Good point, my bed side cable is in great condition although the magnetic tip would make nighttime charging/ grabbing my phone in the morning an easier process. However, I’m my car my charging cables seem to never last long for one reason or another. I’m curios to see how this holds up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The one I use on my nightstand is fine. I never have to replace it. The one I use in my car is beat to hell, probably from the angle my phone sits at. I actually ordered a braided one for the car.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t understand why lightning cables seem so much more fragile compared to any other cables. I’ve had quite a few of mine break too.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

All my cables still work, besides the ones I bring in the car, which get stepped on/pushed down by boxes and water bottles/twisted in ridiculous directions. It takes effort to ruin them.

Reactions: eyoungren

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
The only cables I’ve ever had a problem with are the ones that I use in my car, which have all been the ones that ship with the device. I have 3 cables in the house, not sure of the brand, but I got them from TJ Maxx for around $10. They’re all about 6ft and wrapped in cloth instead of the rubber material. Makes them more flexible and easier to use my iPhone while plugged in.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think they wear pretty poorly if they have any type of bend near either end when plugged in. I just lost my long one that came with my first iPP because it always had a little more bend when plugged in (if I was using the iPad at the time), which ultimately caused it to break there. That in and of itself would have likely been okay, but my 2yo granddaughter chewing on that end a few days ago did it in. Of course it had to be the longer, more expensive one.

That being said, I've ordered some knock-offs and not been pleased at ALL. I'd like a couple of really good ones, and now another good, long one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.