Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkdroid13

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2019
I want to ask one general question here, We have seen 32 bit and 64 bit Operating System.
Is there any other larger size bit Operating System exist? If yes can you please share the link to download it.? I want the best speed operating system.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No.. 32 and 64bits just means the memory size supported. 32 bit apps will still run in Windows 64 bit OS...

It's all down to memory,,, 32 bit OS and apps can only handle 4 Gig. 64 bit OS and apps can use up to 1TB or more of memory, performance increase as well.

Reactions: S.B.G

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I want the best speed operating system.
There are many things to determine the best OS, and many of these things are subjective.

I want to ask one general question here, We have seen 32 bit and 64 bit Operating System.
Is there any other larger size bit Operating System exist?

First, you need to understand what 32 and 64-bit means.

The benefits of having a 64-bit OS or program over a 32-bit doesn't really have to do with speed, but with the increased number of memory addresses that can be utilized by the by the system by RAM or page swapping.

These memory addresses store information that is going to be processed by the system. The bigger the "bit" the more addresses you can have, and the larger amount of information can be stored.

For example, a 1-bit system can store two options, either one "1" or one "0". This would be two memory addresses.

Here is the math for maximum theoretical memory addresses:

1-bit = 2^1 =
2 memory addresses

32-bit = 2^32 =
4,294,967,296 memory addresses, or about 4 GB worth

64-bit = 2^64 =
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 memory addresses, or about 18,000,000,000 GB worth

So, the theoretical maximum amount of memory addresses in the 64-bit system is a lot higher than the RAM that any Mac has, and this will probably be the case more many years to come. I guess with an insane amount of VM, this limit could theoretically could be reached, but the MacOS probably has a limit on the maximum amount of memory addresses anyways.

32-bit runs out of address around 4GB, so OS or apps that use this would be considered dated.

priyankaarya

Suspended
Aug 7, 2019
There is no consumer-available even if there was an OS higher then 64-bit, there is no consumer CPU currently accessible that would be able to work on it, nor any software applications to take advantage of it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
s there any other larger size bit Operating System exist?
In order to have an OS that is higher then 64 bits, you need a CPU that is also higher then 64bits. Back in the day, there were clear and distinct benefits of moving from an 8 bit cpu, to 16, 32 and so on. There's really no massive benefit from going to 128 which is the natural progression since in the past it doubled.

Consider this reddit thread for reading
We have 32 and 64-bit CPUs, why not a 128-bit CPU?

And a write up of the benefits to 64 bit computer
64-bit computing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.