Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. I started getting interested in Digital Photography a while ago and used my family's Sony DSCP200. I recently purchased a slightly used Canon 300d (EOS Rebel) w/ the kit lens. I am getting 20x better macros w/ the Sony P&S than the 300d. I know it isn't a macro lens on the Rebel but shouldn't I be getting better pics w/ it? I will post an example in a little while but any suggestions appreciated. I have the P&S on "Auto" w/ the Macro setting ON and on the 300d I have it set to "Macro" on the wheel on top. Holding it steady isn't the problem, I have set it on books and still get the same result. Anyone?:(

Thanks. Kevin

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
schaef2493 said:
Hi. I started getting interested in Digital Photography a while ago and used my family's Sony DSCP200. I recently purchased a slightly used Canon 300d (EOS Rebel) w/ the kit lens. I am getting 20x better macros w/ the Sony P&S than the 300d. I know it isn't a macro lens on the Rebel but shouldn't I be getting better pics w/ it? I will post an example in a little while but any suggestions appreciated. I have the P&S on "Auto" w/ the Macro setting ON and on the 300d I have it set to "Macro" on the wheel on top. Holding it steady isn't the problem, I have set it on books and still get the same result. Anyone?:(

Thanks. Kevin

It's likey that the very short focal lenght lens on the P&S would have a large depth of field while the 300D's lens ha a much shorter DOF and therefore requires critical focusing on some speici prt of the subject.

You may have found out why many photographers don't like to use autofocus for macro work. You need to control what part of the image is in focus.

Of course with no information or sample images I'm guessing. Please post images and measurements (camera to subject distance) and tell us what lens yu are using o the 300D

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
I'm assuming you are using the 17-55mm f/3.5-5.6? If that is the case, then the macro abilities on that lens are less than most point and shoots. This is because of the way the lens is designed. It is much easier to focus closer with a smaller lens. For example, with a cell phone camera, you can focus in on something very close. This does not mean the camera is "better" however, you just have the wrong lens for macro work. I know that cannon makes a macro lens that can do up to a 5:1 macro ratio which would totally destroy any p/s in macro work.

The thing about SLR's are that you have to get the right lenses. A P/s is designed to everything in one lens. However, a good rule of thumb for photography (or anything really) the more it does, the less it does well. (there are exceptions to this like the nikon 18-200 VR)

-Ted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.