Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Right now, my MacPro just has the 300gb sata drive that came with it. plus an external 1TB FW drive. Thinking about leaving OS and Apps on boot drive and adding new drive(s) for data. Then possibly change the boot drive to SSD in the future.

For now, using CS4 and LR2, would performance be better if I added 2 internal 500gb drives and Raid-0 for storing all data. Or, not use Raid 0 , and use one for data, and one for scratch disc ?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
It all depends on what you're going to be doing with Photoshop. If you're going to be rendering 3D, then I suggest you have a separate scratch disc. However, if you're just going to be doing basic photo manipulation you really don't need a scratch disc, and I'd say RAID 0 the drives together, just make sure you have a good way to back them up.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
It all depends on what you're going to be doing with Photoshop. If you're going to be rendering 3D, then I suggest you have a separate scratch disc. However, if you're just going to be doing basic photo manipulation you really don't need a scratch disc, and I'd say RAID 0 the drives together, just make sure you have a good way to back them up.

But then what happens if qveda decides to do more than "basic photo manipulation" on his slick RAID 0 system and needs a scratch disk? Spend more money? Back out of RAID 0?

The application decides when you utilize the scratch disk (if you make one available)...not whether you are rendering 3D or not. I wonder if there might be another need for RAID 0 that qveda might have?

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
... I wonder if there might be another need for RAID 0 that qveda might have?

Hi, These days, I don't plan on 3D rendering, but mostly photography and some relatively low level video editing. (by the way, I am upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram). I rely on TimeMachine for regular backup to ext. 1TB drive.

I don't have a particular "need" for Raid0 at this time. I believe separating data onto its own disc(s) would be recommended in any case. As long as I'm buying a data disc(s), I'm considering buying 2 identical ones so I can Raid them, or make one a scratch disc. Seems that Raid0 would help overall performance. Not sure how much extra benefit I'd get from the scratch disc.

Another twist... If I use a Raid0 pair for data. would there be a problem adding a scratch disc later - since it would not be as fast as the Raid0 pair ?

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Hi, These days, I don't plan on 3D rendering, but mostly photography and some relatively low level video editing. (by the way, I am upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram). I rely on TimeMachine for regular backup to ext. 1TB drive.

I don't have a particular "need" for Raid0 at this time. I believe separating data onto its own disc(s) would be recommended in any case. As long as I'm buying a data disc(s), I'm considering buying 2 identical ones so I can Raid them, or make one a scratch disc. Seems that Raid0 would help overall performance. Not sure how much extra benefit I'd get from the scratch disc.

Another twist... If I use a Raid0 pair for data. would there be a problem adding a scratch disc later - since it would not be as fast as the Raid0 pair ?

RAID 0 has neither parity or mirroring; something it sounds like you already know. Adding another disk later and telling PS4 that it is your scratch disk should not be a technical issue, its just a matter of time and money. The only downside I see to this setup is that you are adding risk to your environment at the trade off for increased speed. If you are a techie and just like to play around with this stuff then jump in the sandbox and have fun. Otherwise, introducing increased risk into your setup without any payback on the speed you are getting (ie having a customer that is waiting for a return on that data) isn't a risk I would be willing to take.

Good luck tho...let us know what you decide to do :D

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
....introducing increased risk into your setup without any payback on the speed you are getting (ie having a customer that is waiting for a return on that data) isn't a risk I would be willing to take.

Good luck tho...let us know what you decide to do :D

Well stated. with regular backup, the performance may be worth the risk.. but I will give that some additional thought.
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.