Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phoenix_Silver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS APPLICATION. Although this application is awesome in terms of doing it job by snapping your windows to the side of your screen. It has a huge security risk. It records your screen and can see everything on on you screen. Partially mirroring your screen to the makers. I paid money for this application. I think it is shameful that a company not only asks you to pay for the application but also looks collects information from novels that you maybe writing, maybe your bank account has been compromised. Shame! folivore.AI GmbH

Attachments

• BetterSnapTool.png
    BetterSnapTool.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 625

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS APPLICATION. Although this application is awesome in terms of doing it job by snapping your windows to the side of your screen. It has a huge security risk. It records your screen and can see everything on on you screen. Partially mirroring your screen to the makers. I paid money for this application. I think it is shameful that a company not only asks you to pay for the application but also looks collects information from novels that you maybe writing, maybe your bank account has been compromised. Shame! folivore.AI GmbH
Bettersnaptool will never record your screen. See https://folivora.ai/blog/post/13011 for more technical detail on why it requests the screen recording permission.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Folivora well explain the optional screen recording permissions that may be needed for certain applications. The allegations seem unfounded unless op can better clarify?

Reactions: ShlomoCode

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I agree. DO NOT BUY BETTER SNAP TOOL.

Instead, you should buy Better Touch Tool from the same developer. It incorporates the features of Better Snap, and so so much more.

Now to get back to that novel I was writing.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
How did it work before Catlina?
Before macOS Catalina there were no such permissions. Any app could access the window title of any other app - and any app could record your screen.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Reactions: Tagbert

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I agree. DO NOT BUY BETTER SNAP TOOL.

Instead, you should buy Better Touch Tool from the same developer. It incorporates the features of Better Snap, and so so much more.

That would be a fair point. But that’s a totally different reason from the original op’s false information.

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009

As the developer of BetterTouchTool & BetterSnapTool I agree :) if you want to get the most out of your Mac, try BetterTouchTool. There is also a fully functional 45 day trial available on https://folivora.ai

However if you only want window snapping BetterSnapTool is much more lightweight!

Reactions: Tagbert

Phoenix_Silver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Sorry but I totally disagree. Why does this application not allow you to turn off the recording screen mode and if you do so the application refuses to open or even being usable. I still would never recommend this tool to anyone. You do not need to record or have the promising to record my screen to the application to work.

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
You need to read https://folivora.ai/blog/post/13011 to understand why the permission is necessary.
The application will start fine even if you don't grant the permission. It just won't work with some apps then and it will be a bit less performant.

I hope Apple will allow better control over these API's at some point, so this won't be necessary anymore.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
As the developer of BetterTouchTool & BetterSnapTool I agree :) if you want to get the most out of your Mac, try BetterTouchTool. There is also a fully functional 45 day trial available on https://folivora.ai

However if you only want window snapping BetterSnapTool is much more lightweight!
Holy crap -- I did not even know about BetterTouchTool -- buying this now.

Is the license good for all the Macs I own?

Nevermind -- I found the answer on your website:

Multi Computer Usage and Corporate Usage

For each license type (Standard & Lifetime) you can choose between using it either per-user OR per-seat. This is not a formal decision, you can just use it the way that fits your use-case!

Typically private individuals would choose to use it per-user which allows to use the license on all computers where the user who purchased the license (or whom it was purchased for) is the main user of the machine. Additionally I allow to use it on 1 shared family computer.

Companies would choose the per-seat usage model, which allows the license to be used by different users at one machine (you can install it on multiple machines but only use it on one at a time).

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
BetterTouchTool is a terrific app. F'n indispensable on my system. The developer has been a consistent presence in the Mac community for years, without controversy or hiccup.

And now, like @AppleSmack, back to my novel!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.