Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orop2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Updated to Big Sur a couple of days ago and now Transmission tells me my port is closed, hence no transfers at all. While looking for answers I came across several postings here that claimed that Transmission worked fine with Big Sur back in November.
Can some of you who have a working Big Sur - Transmission setup let me know how they succeeded in making it work? I am stumped!

Cheers!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Transmission works fine for me in Big Sur without any special efforts.

orop2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Good to hear. Did you upgrade from a previous OS with Transmission already installed or did you install Transmission after you ran Big Sur?

Jmacca

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
I'm having the same issue. Clean install of both Big Sur and Transmission. Been using Folx instead but really would prefer Transmission. Even if I manually open a open port on my router and manually point Transmission to it - still nothing ;(((

Strangely transmission is working on my OS X, on my MacBook. So its not the network. Any ideas?

orop2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Update: After not succeeding initially I eliminated all transfers and started from zero. Kept the stuff I wanted to keep sharing and ditched the rest. Now TM started to work just fine.
I believe TM can't handle too many active transfers under Big Sur. I have 38 active transfers now and all is well.

Reactions: Big Ron

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The little light on "Peer listening port" is red on my copy of Transmission, but sharing is working fine.
I suspect a problem in the app's port testing rather than a problem with the port being closed.

orop2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
The little light on "Peer listening port" is red on my copy of Transmission, but sharing is working fine.
I suspect a problem in the app's port testing rather than a problem with the port being closed.
The same here - initially concerned me but was not the cause of the problem.

Bitmap Father

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Sorry to dig up an old topic but I had the same problem when upgrading to Big Sur lately. And using a nightly build seems to fix the issue. If that can help some people.

Edit : talked too soon… it stops after a few seconds…

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.