Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossGGG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Has anyone else seen this issue?

After installing the Big Sur beta on my Mac Pro (2019), I began seeing random bluetooth connection confirmation prompts on a MacBook Pro (Mid 2015, macOS Mojave 10.14.6), in the adjacent room, indicating that the Mac Pro was trying to connect to it over bluetooth. I could choose to either confirm/accept the connection (by comparing the random number presented in the dialog matched on both machines) or reject the connection. Either choice seemed to make little difference, as another connection dialog would pop up soon after.

At some point, those dialogs did stop appearing (maybe with the release of the second beta, I can't quite remember), but what has started to happen instead is that the Mojave-running MacBook Pro experiences frequent bouts of lag and stuttering for all of the connected bluetooth peripherals whenever the Big Sur-Running Mac Pro is actively being used.

By a happy coincidence, I recently installed Growl and HardwareGrowler on the MacBook Pro, which work together to display notifications for various hardware-related events. What I have been seeing is that, whenever the MBP's bluetooth peripherals are exhibiting connectivity issues, there is also an aggressive series of connections attempts over bluetooth coming from the Mac Pro.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.16.26 AM.png

It only seems to happen at random intervals when there is someone actively using the Mac Pro, but we haven't been able to identify a particular action that could be triggering Big Sur to make these connection attempts. The two computers have never been "paired" or anything like that either, so it's either trying to connect to any Macs it detects in the vicinity, or it is pinging devices based on one or more users' iCloud accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.