Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
I setup two brand new 2nd Gen HomePods with my  TV 4K (2022). I have it set up with LG OLED C2 77" TV. I confided it with pass through and turned on EARC support for it. It's working great. But there is one setting I'm unsure of...should the LG TV output settings be set to PCM or Bitstream audio when paired eARC to a set of paired HomePods? I've found exactly one site about this and its says PCM.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Pretty sure eARC doesn’t apply since you’re using HomePods, you could use any other HDMI port and be just fine.

Bitstream is more of a pass through option that lets a receiver/sound bar decode all the codecs where PCM processing is handled by the TV. Try either one and see what works best so you don’t have sync issues, etc.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
No it definitely matters on the eARC front. I read through the direction on how to set it up so other devices connected to your tv also use the HomePods.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
For the bitstream option to work, appleTV should be able to decode all the codecs arriving. AFAIK tvOS has only been able to decode AAC, Dolby Digital and DD Plus.
It has had no codec for lossless bitstreams or lossy DTS.
Obviouy, PCM does not need decoding.

PS I am not sure if the newer tvOS that supports ARC input, has implemented any of the previously missing decoders.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
LG TV output settings be set to PCM or Bitstream audio
You can try both to see which is best for you but if the audio gets funky just switch. I have a LG CX and Apple TV and have my setting to PCM. I don't use my HomePods for tv audio. I would guess that for your use, you can go with PCM.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I setup two brand new 2nd Gen HomePods with my  TV 4K (2022). I have it set up with LG OLED C2 77" TV. I confided it with pass through and turned on EARC support for it.

I'm confused about how things are connected. How is the Apple TV connected to the internet? What is the eARc hdmi port from the LG connected to?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
eARC would be connected to the Apple TV.

You've tried this and it works?

The HDMI port on the Apple TV is designed for internet access. You can have either the HDMI port or the WiFi port active, not both.

So I would think connecting the eARC to the apple TV would result in the Apple TV not having any internet connection. eArc sending audio/video to the Apple TV wouldn't be recognized.

What am I missing?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
The HDMI port on the Apple TV is designed for internet access.
You are thinking about the Ethernet port and using that port means you are "hardwired" like using that port on your computer.
You can have either the HDMI port or the WiFi port active, not both.
The HDMI port is for the tv and for the Apple TV, it really doesn't matter which one is used on the tv.
So I would think connecting the eARC to the apple TV would result in the Apple TV not having any internet connection.
The correct way to phrase it would be connecting the Apple TV's HDMI to the tv's HDMI or Earc port.

It's the Apple TV that sends the signal to the tv.

Or it's something like that :)

I have to ask
was your post a funny? I ask because of "contributor".

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
As I understand it, the latest aTV can act, if paired with stereo HomePods, as a soundbar.
I.e. it can receive audio from the display, via eARC, and play it out loud via Homepods.
Yep exactly that. Providing the Apple TV is plugged into the HDMI port on the TV which is labelled as ARC/eARC (The port varies between each TV, on my LG 4K TV its HDMI port 2). Then underneath the audio settings on the Apple TV you can turn ARC/eARC on. I use it and they sound amazing on my other devices like Nintendo Switch and even Freeview TV.

Reactions: HDFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.