Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Tried turning on Apple Watch and got this strange static screen:
IMG_2908.jpeg

Any ideas on what the issue is? At this point it won't turn on, even when putting it on the charger.

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpeg
    IMG_2908.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,709
Reactions: DeepIn2U

brianryer

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Portland, OR
Tried turning on Apple Watch and got this strange static screen:
View attachment 624144

Any ideas on what the issue is? At this point it won't turn on, even when putting it on the charger.

Experiencing similar thing with Apple Watch Series 2.
Intermittently, the screen is static garbage. I have a vague feeling that its after wearing for 8+ hours...I first thought it was after a shower and I didn't get all the water out :-!

You can see the OS responding to touches, trying to do things with random black bars or ghost movement on the screen.

Static screen persists even after multiple hard reboots.

However, if left on the charger the default-mode green old-time digital display shows up, looking normal.

After leaving it alone for a while longer (4, 8 hours? I didn't keep track) all screen functions are normal again.

So it *might* be a hardware issue, but I think it's probably poorly behaved software. It reminds me of when multiple programs claim the same space in memory and it overlaps video memory somehow...yes, I am casting around in the dark because it's such a frustrating problem...

BananAAAAAAH

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
Has anyone found a solution to the static screen issue without replacing it? My Series 3 is having this issue right now.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Has anyone found a solution to the static screen issue without replacing it? My Series 3 is having this issue right now.
Since nobody has updated the thread or offered another explanation in 4 years a hardware issue with the display seems like the best diagnosis

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.