Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YourDamnCroissants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
Boston, MA
Since yesterday, I've observed some really odd GPS-related behaviors on my iPhone running iOS 17.5, my wife's iPhone running 17.4.1, and my MacBook running macOS 14.4.1, all in the same location (our apartment) in New York City. It started with our HomeKit lighting turning on and off, seemingly at random. The cause of this was our "last person leaves" and "first person arrives" location-based automations configured in the Home app. For some reason, our phones were flipping back and forth between thinking they're inside and outside our home's geofence. Disabling the location-based Home automations put the issue to rest.

Once I realized the issue was GPS-based, I opened Maps and realized that it thought I was in San Francisco, somewhere in the Mission District. Then, within a second, it snapped back to my actual location in NYC. Given Apple's HQ, I wouldn't be surprised if the SF location is a fallback coordinate for when GPS can't resolve a real location, but that's just a guess. Over the next few minutes, I was able to reproduce inconsistently by closing and reopening the maps app.

I thought the issue was limited to iOS 17.5, then my wife reported the same San Francisco GPS issue in Google Maps on her phone on iOS 17.4.1.

Finally, today, my M1 MacBook Pro 14" also exhibited the GPS issue when I noticed that it had reset its time to California (PDT), even though, again, I'm on the east coast (EDT). I had to turn off "Set time zone automatically using your current location" to get the time zone corrected. And sure enough, after waiting a few minutes and coming back to the Date & Time settings, it had picked up my actual location on the east coast once again.

Here's an example of the issue happening:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.50.47 PM.png

And then a few seconds later after the GPS found me again:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.52.12 PM.png

I'm willing to chalk this up potentially to the solar storm, but my understanding is that it has subsided since this past weekend. But given the impact to 3 different devices running different OSes, I'm struggling to think of an explanation besides local GPS satellites having issues. But I'm in NYC — you'd think there would be more reports of this if that were the case. Anyone else experience similar issues lately?

Last edited:

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Have you by chance recently changed your WiFi AP ? I had similar behavior in the past when an AP was moved from one location to another, it took a few weeks to « stabilize » my location

YourDamnCroissants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
Boston, MA
Have you by chance recently changed your WiFi AP ? I had similar behavior in the past when an AP was moved from one location to another, it took a few weeks to « stabilize » my location
I haven't, the SSID and AP/router is still the same. I know Apple uses nearby network SSIDs to judge your location, so maybe mine moving to a new area confused it?

That said, I also noticed that one of my HomePods thought it was in the PDT timezone, and I've only seen this issue happen on devices that are part signed into accounts of users in my HomeKit home. I disabled and re-enabled Location Services in the Home settings and restarted all home hubs. I wonder if Apple might use the timezone/location of the Apple Home to inform timezone/location of individual devices, when those devices are on the same network as your home hubs.

One device has Tailscale but that shouldn't affect any traffic outside the tailnet, but 2 others don't have any VPN.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
It could be that you have a new neighbor who used to live in California, and he brought his wifi access point with him. In the augmented GPS database, his SSID (or rather, his AP's MAC address) is still registered to be in California. As you have no actual GPS reception inside your apartment, Apple's logic will search where the neighboring wifi APs are located and then flip back and forth.

This will usually settle within a few days, as the database auto-updates once it notices that an AP moved to a new location.

Reactions: YourDamnCroissants

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Think @ManuCH is referring to this.

If Location Services is on, your iPhone will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers (where supported by a device) in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for augmenting this crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Think @ManuCH is referring to this.

Yes, exactly. "Augmented GPS" is a way where the iPhone isn't just using GPS satellites to determine its position, but also pre-compiled databases of positions of cell towers and WiFi routers around you.

If someone living in California has a WiFi router and moves it to New York, it could cause issues like these for a while. I had this myself when I moved to another city: suddenly my iPhone thought I was back in my old city for a few weeks, until the database fixed itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.