Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
For those in the know, when it comes to Comics and such, what is the difference between the Black Adam film and the Shazam film?
I noticed Shazam 2, is being released soon. I just watch Black Adam, a few days ago. Meh...

MODs: Feel free to move this to the correct section, if I have misplaced it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Shazam was a more lighthearted family film. Black Adam is more like your typical Marvel type movies - more adult orientated.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

GaryGnu

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
What sort of answer are you looking for? What's the difference in the tone of the movies? What's the difference in the characters? How do the screen representations differ from the comic representations? Are the two movies set in the same continuity? Something else?

As a disclaimer, Shazam [or Captain Marvel as he was known until 2011] has been my favorite DC hero since he was brought back in the early 1970's.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Shazam was a fun movie. Black Adam had so much potential, but it was painful to watch.

As an aside, The Rock has major star power yet what has he done? They all seem to either lose money, or be marginal. There's the fast and furious franchse, but correct me if I'm wrong - he was brought into that series after its initial success, i.e., he was not the reason it was a mega hit.

He did have some decently successful movies, but overall I don't know of any that was a block buster.

He seems to have the same sway as Tom Cruise, and he makes similar demands, and changes in movies, but unlike Cruise he's yet to have a major hit.

Black Adam could have been that, but its just not a good movie.

I think Jumanji is his biggest hit, and even then, I'd attribute that more towards the ensemble of actors, and not him alone.

Reactions: circatee and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Shazam was a fun movie. Black Adam had so much potential, but it was painful to watch.

As an aside, The Rock has major star power yet what has he done? They all seem to either lose money, or be marginal. There's the fast and furious franchse, but correct me if I'm wrong - he was brought into that series after its initial success, i.e., he was not the reason it was a mega hit.

He did have some decently successful movies, but overall I don't know of any that was a block buster.

He seems to have the same sway as Tom Cruise, and he makes similar demands, and changes in movies, but unlike Cruise he's yet to have a major hit.

Black Adam could have been that, but its just not a good movie.

I think Jumanji is his biggest hit, and even then, I'd attribute that more towards the ensemble of actors, and not him alone.
He seems to have a good film persona, but I’ve only liked a couple of his movies, The Mummy movie, Scorpion King, and Get Smart, and because I admit I’m hung up on the original Jumangi, I thumb my nose at the remakes. :)

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Thanks for the responses. Sort of like the many iterations of Batman. The Dark Knight is my favourite. And, I was thinking for a moment both Black Adam and Shazam were in essence the same, but from different view points.

GaryGnu

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
They're two completely different characters, but they get their powers from the same source, like all of Billy's foster siblings get a bit of the power. I guess the closest other DC equivalent is how all the different speedsters all get their power from the speed force.

Reactions: circatee

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He seems to have a good film persona
He’s very charismatic and charming but he garners top dollar in Hollywood yet his films don’t achieve the level of success commensurate with his salary

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
He seems to have a good film persona, but I’ve only liked a couple of his movies, The Mummy movie, Scorpion King, and Get Smart, and because I admit I’m hung up on the original Jumangi, I thumb my nose at the remakes. :)

Central Intelligence is too bad, he is funny. I also liked him, in gasp, The Tooth Fairy. Actually, I have liked a few of his movies. Jungle Cruise, Moana, and Pain and Gain. Some of the faces he makes cracks me up. The Jumangi movies are not bad... one of them is actually kinda sad.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.