Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BroskiMode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Hi lately I've been nothing every time I play a video fullscreen on youtube or using a video player software I would be getting black bars on top and bottom of the video.

I know it's not the video's problem because in a non full screen viewing it fits fine on youtube or the video player software (VLC) and when I use an external display such as my Samsung monitor it's perfectly fine in full screen as if there wasn't any problems.

The only temporary solution for using video player software is when I use VLC is that I change the video aspect ratio manually from it's default ratio at 16:9 to 16:10 but cannot change this in Chrome, Safari or Firefox for YouTube.

My Macbook Pro is a 13 inch Retina Mid 2014 model and I've researched on the web that the retina models come with an aspect ratio 16:10 so that explains the temporary fix works.

Source here: http://www.cnet.com/au/products/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-13-3-inch

Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I stuck?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
That's the reality of video. If it isn't produced in the same aspect ratio as the screen it's viewed on, you're going to get empty space either on the top/bottom (if the video is a wider ratio than the screen) or at the sides (if the video is a taller ratio than the screen).
You probably have the same thing when watching most movies (which are 21:9) on your 16:9 television.

Just the way it is. To "fix" it you either have to crop portions off the video or stretch it to fill the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.