Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Hey There,

I took alot of photos on my trip through Asia and discovered that there were black spots on a
few of my photographs, it only seems to happen when shooting into the sun, but oddly enough
it doesn't always happen.

Is this a cleaning issue? i have cleaned the lenses and filters but haven't
cleaned the body as i don't have a proper cleaning kit.

Is it just dust on the sensor? :confused:

Example:

Attachments

• IMG_9257.jpg
    IMG_9257.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 104

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Looks like dust to me. It might be that you just can't see it on any other pictures because of the color difference.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Looks like dust on the sensor. Take off your lens, put on mirror lock up, and spray some air in the sensor area holding the camera down so the dust will fall out no back on. Don't try to rub the sensor with a microfiber thing either.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Hey There,

I took alot of photos on my trip through Asia and discovered that there were black spots on a
few of my photographs, it only seems to happen when shooting into the sun, but oddly enough
it doesn't always happen.

Is this a cleaning issue? i have cleaned the lenses and filters but haven't
cleaned the body as i don't have a proper cleaning kit.

Is it just dust on the sensor? :confused:

Example:

Yea dust on the sensor probably. Also, it shows up more when you use a smaller aperture.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Looks like dust on the sensor. Take off your lens, put on mirror lock up, and spray some air in the sensor area holding the camera down so the dust will fall out no back on. Don't try to rub the sensor with a microfiber thing either.

Please don't use canned air to spray some air on the sensor, that's courting disaster. Use something like a Giottos Rocket Blower.

As far as if it's debris on the sensor's AA filter, if they're in the same spot no matter what picture, then that's most likely the case.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Get on you-tube and search the sensor cleaning vids, I used the copperhill stuff and worked great.

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
BCains,
Since you're in an investing mood, don't forget to invest the proper time in learning what is involved in properly cleaning the sensor. Learning the proper technique (and adopting the proper mindset) is at least as important as is getting the proper equipment. By mindset, I mean it's nothing to freak out about, by any means, but you'll have a much better time of it if you feel prepared when it comes time to actually get down to business and clean the thing.
Good luck and have fun

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Went out yesterday to get the camera cleaned and picked up a
Hurricane Blower, they didn't sell any other cleaning tools thou.
But the dust issue now does not exist, wohoo. Thanks guys!

Also picked up a 50mm 1.8II ;)

2475466066_cca9eb133c.jpg

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Went out yesterday to get the camera cleaned and picked up a
Hurricane Blower, they didn't sell any other cleaning tools thou.
But the dust issue now does not exist, wohoo. Thanks guys!

Also picked up a 50mm 1.8II ;)

2475466066_cca9eb133c.jpg

I have that lens to :) It's a bargain lens for sure! It takes some fine shots, enjoy it because you're going to love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.