Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I've been keeping my eye on the Nikon D40 lately as it will probably be my first DSLR. I came across this just a few minutes ago:

Two Lens Kit at Adorama

I was a bit shocked to see it for $509... are my eyes deceiving me? Am I missing something? For a body and both of those lenses (new, not refurbs) I would expect it to be a bunch more. Aren't these lenses pretty decent? I think the 55-200 with AF and VR is, like, $200 alone, right? I swear this kit was 100-200 more a day ago.

My initial thought was that this must be a Black Friday discount. My finger is itching as my cursor hovers over the Add to Cart button. So what's the deal? I'm curious to hear anyone's suspicions before I give in and order it.

Sorry for the trivial post, $500 bucks is quite a load to drop for a student. And a non-photography major at that.

*EDIT*
A similar kit at Amazon: Amazon 2 lens kit

Another one with the non-VR 55-200 is still more than the Adorama deal: non-VR kit

And the 55-200 with VR: 55-200 Lens at Amazon

That price at Adorama is looking pretty sweet...

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
It's not a Black Friday special. That's been the price range for a while now, since a little while after the D90 came out at least. I remember seeing that then when I was looking for a new camera body.

It is a really good deal for those looking at getting the D40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.