Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which color would you buy your next Macbook Pro?

• Silver

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Space gray

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Black (real black, no midnight bluish nor shiny jet black)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Black (as above) paying an extra for it

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

_ale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2020
I think it is time for Apple to move on (or back..) and offer us a truly, deeply, enormously desired, Black Macbook Pro.

I don't mean the blue midnight option on the MBA, nor the shiny Jet Black which was available on iPhones. What I want is a real matte black aluminum Macbook, let me even pay more for it. I don't care if it scratches easily, I won't bother since I know it will be more delicate than other coloring options (I will even accept a checkbox in which I accept it being ridiculously stupid to buy it).

Apple has the technology, the black background of the keyboard on the current generation MBP is promising.

BTW, I have been wondering how Apple achieves the anodizing of the keyboard. There may be two ways: one is to mask completely the mac but the keyboard (which is hard to do, would be easier to paint it this way), the other is to anodize the entire body, and than sand away the portions not meant to be black. If anybody know how they make that, I would really appreciate to know it.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
A black MacBook would be a pain to live with, it will show up every little spec of dust, scratches and so on.

Ive ordered the new MBP in silver

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd love to see Midnight blue, that's the only reason why I almost got an MBA

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I like the darker blue or violet Apple devices, but IMHO black takes away being able to highlight a laptops design. It's too much like the old plastic design so many PC laptops utilized.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Black would be nice. In my mind it would need to be a stealth matte black. No sheen. The only problem with that might be that it would show oils almost immediately. It's doubtful Apple will go this route with aluminum. Perhaps if they switched to another material.

Reactions: james2538

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Totally agree, although I think the latest Macbook Air black option is close enough to “real“ black for me. It would certainly look nice on the Pro line. I always thought those 2005-ish black Macbooks looked super nice.

Reactions: james2538

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I tried colors for a while because I like colorful everything. That said, in going back to an underspec’d silver MBP, the silver finish was actually the determining factor. It’s just so nice looking with the black bits. I stuck a vintage rainbow striped Apple logo decal on the lid and the color there looks better than anything.

_ale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2020
Black would be nice. In my mind it would need to be a stealth matte black. No sheen. The only problem with that might be that it would show oils almost immediately. It's doubtful Apple will go this route with aluminum. Perhaps if they switched to another material.
Switching material would be an idea: titanium offers coloring options, but is harder to work with and more expensive to start with: hence the price bump. Not to mention the marketing opportunity for a Titanium G4 nostalgia.

wildaman

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2021
A black MacBook would be a pain to live with, it will show up every little spec of dust, scratches and so on.

Ive ordered the new MBP in silver
Silver and black is a very clean looking combo. I went with Space Grey on my new MBP, which I think looks great too, but silver and black is classic. I have an HP G8 for work that IMO looks great with the same combo.

That being said, I think the all black Razer Blade 14 looks really good too.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I'm into a darker macbook pro. I don't think full black would be great though. I think you need a bit of contrast. Like the space black iphone 14 pro. I don't think they would do this, because they'd be too close in color. It would have to be a replacement color. I would actually love a flat/nardo grey like MS uses.

Last edited:

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I'd definitely would love to see Apple do this. Space Gray is getting way too boring for my likings, especially different shades of gray. yuck.

_ale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2020
I would actually love a flat/nardo grey like MS uses.
Yeah that would be nice. Space gray is too shiny IMO, silver is a classic. Flat gray I think is kind of hard to achieve if you stick with metal and you don't want to paint it. Maybe some kind of PVD coating would do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.