Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaolin263

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
china
my mac pro is mid 2012, md770,the os version is 10.14, yesterday i upgrade it to 10.14.1, the first reboot is white screen with progress, and the second reboot cause the computer dead .
there is no signal to the monitor, no chime ..
I tried dp and hdmi cable, changed the memory and slots, changed the graphics card, and no result.
The usb seems no power, so i tried reset pram and smc, it does not work also.
the led seems normal, when i remove all memory, its flashing .

what can i do now ?

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
So the device will no longer power on at all? If so, take it in for service.

If the device does power on, are you able to enter recovery/ internet recovery?

shaolin263

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
china
the device is power on, the fans are working, no chime after power on, no video output, it seems the self test failed.
hardware error ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
my mac pro is mid 2012, md770,the os version is 10.14, yesterday i upgrade it to 10.14.1, the first reboot is white screen with progress, and the second reboot cause the computer dead .
I tried dp and hdmi cable, changed the memory and slots, changed the graphics card, and no result.

what can i do now ?
What's your GPU?

Did you tried to see if your Mac Pro can be accessible via network/screensharing?

shaolin263

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
china
graphics card is rx560, it rorks well on 10.14.
mac can not access via network, the device can not found in the devices list of the router's management page .
i have changed the card to hd5770, and no video output also .
the osx upgrade damaged my hardware ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
graphics card is rx560, it rorks well on 10.14.
mac can not access via network, the device can not found in the devices list of the router's management page .
i have changed the card to hd5770, and no video output also .
the osx upgrade damaged my hardware ?
Probably you have a corrupted SPI flash. You can desolder the SPI flash and reprogram it with CH341a or you can buy a Mac Pro MATT card and reconstruct your BootROM after you got it running.

shaolin263

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
china
If you going to desolder, I can help you reconstruct your BootROM. I already did this more times than I like to admit. Read about here: #928
thanks a lot , i'm
If you going to desolder, I can help you reconstruct your BootROM. I already did this more times than I like to admit. Read about here: #928

thanks alot! i'll try it when free, but how can you help me to reconstruct the rom... i'm in asian ...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's worth a shot.
Only if the Mac wasn't powered off and you had the CD inserted. After the Mac is bricked, you can't even open the CD tray without resorting to manually doing it.

To read the firmware from the CD the module that do the firmware recovery needs to be functional.

Reactions: h9826790

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Only if the Mac wasn't powered off and you had the CD inserted. After the Mac is bricked, you can't even open the CD tray without resorting to manually doing it.

To read the firmware from the CD the module that do the firmware recovery needs to be functional.

As the Apple documentation says "You can only use this to restore the firmware after an interrupted or unsuccessful update."

That seems to be what is going on here.

It may not work, but all that is lost is a blank CD and a little time. It's trouble shooting 101, try the documented "Software" steps before resorting to more complex hardware means.

@tsialex Still love you tho.:p

Reactions: tsialex

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

what can i do now ?

Just to clarify, you mean after update from 10.14.0 to 10.14.1, the cMP suddenly die.

But NOT after update from 138.0.0.0.0 to 140.0.0.0.0, then the cMP die.

Also, did you try holding power button to boot? Any long beep?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
As the Apple documentation says "You can only use this to restore the firmware after an interrupted or unsuccessful update."

That seems to be what is going on here.

It may not work, but all that is lost is a blank CD and a little time. It's trouble shooting 101, try the documented "Software" steps before resorting to more complex hardware means.

@tsialex Still love you tho.:p
I'd love to be wrong and the Firmware Restoration CD works for the OP. No hope, tho.

Reactions: crjackson2134

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The MATT Card thing looks like a good fix... 65 Euro, not cheap, but better than a bricked machine.

Question: Can a Mac Pro be run from the MATT Card in perpetuity?
Yes, it can, but you have to flash a reconstructed BootROM for your Mac, since cmizapper send the same one to every MATT card they sell. So every Mac Pro with the MATT card installed with the cmizapper BootROM is a clone. When Apple detects this, they block iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime access from the cloned Mac Pro.

With the ESN label (grey/white one near video outputs) info and the LBSN label (black/white one at the left of the backplane tray connector) I can reconstruct the BootROM for you to flash into the backplane and you will have iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime working.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Thanks for your offer tsialex; I was just seeking to gain understanding... both my Mac Pros are (at least at this point in time) working fine.

I am following everything going on here at MacRumors pertaining to 5,1 MP with great interest. Your many contributions are much appreciated!

Reactions: tsialex

shaolin263

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
china
Just to clarify, you mean after update from 10.14.0 to 10.14.1, the cMP suddenly die.

I tried holding the power button to boot, there is no any beep .
When upgrading to 10.14, i did it to update firmware.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I'd love to be wrong and the Firmware Restoration CD works for the OP. No hope, tho.
Well, it DOES work.
I had a brick today, was going from 140.0.0.0.0 to 141.0.0.0.0, & TBH it has been a while since I have done a firmware on my 5,1's.
With no progress bar I was distracted & let go off the on sw too early........f**k!
To my distress, yes, totally bricked. Some time ago I purchased a MATT Card, Just in case, you know, to be sure, to be sure.
Looking where to plug the card came across this thread.
Downloaded the firmware restore tool:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1320?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Burnt to CD, & followed the instructions:
  1. Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
  2. Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).
    On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
    Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.
  3. A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.
It worked as advertised, complete with progress bar.
BTW, I had the progress bar until I had done 140.0.0.0.0
Of course wouldn't boot Mojave, so I found an old Mountain Lion disk which booted OK
Now I was at firmware MP51.007F.B03.
Found my old 10.13.6 install & proceeded as per thread by you (tsialex), thanks again!
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/
Now all good with firmware 141.0.0.0.0
Many thanks to you guys, couldn't have saved the day without all this info.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Well, it DOES work.
I had a brick today, was going from 140.0.0.0.0 to 141.0.0.0.0, & TBH it has been a while since I have done a firmware on my 5,1's.
With no progress bar I was distracted & let go off the on sw too early........f**k!
To my distress, yes, totally bricked. Some time ago I purchased a MATT Card, Just in case, you know, to be sure, to be sure.
Looking where to plug the card came across this thread.
Downloaded the firmware restore tool:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1320?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Burnt to CD, & followed the instructions:
  1. Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
  2. Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).
    On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
    Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.
  3. A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.
It worked as advertised, complete with progress bar.
BTW, I had the progress bar until I had done 140.0.0.0.0
Of course wouldn't boot Mojave, so I found an old Mountain Lion disk which booted OK
Now I was at firmware MP51.007F.B03.
Found my old 10.13.6 install & proceeded as per thread by you (tsialex), thanks again!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave.2142418/
Now all good with firmware 141.0.0.0.0
Many thanks to you guys, couldn't have saved the day without all this info.

Your Mac Pro is early-2009 or mid-2010/mid-2012? Don't work for early-2009, since the Netkas upgrade messes with the BootBlock.

Anyway, it's very rare to see anyone posting about Firmware Restoration CD working. Never worked for me and the numerous bricks that I had.

Last edited:

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Your Mac Pro is early-2009 or mid-2010/mid-2012? Don't work for early-2009, since the Netkas upgrade messes with the BootBlock.

Anyway, it's very rare to see anyone posting about Firmware Restoration CD working. Never worked for me and the numerous bricks that I had.
Mine is a mid-2010.
I'm just very happy that it did work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.