Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
Hello, i recently bought a new graphics card, an RX 5500 xt for my 2010 mac pro.
as i installed it worked great in windows, but i accidentally kicked the power cord, as soon as i restarted the computer the card wouldn’t display anything unles i installed the stock radeon hd 5870. The thing is that when i conect the two it detects them as separated outputs so i need to use two screens but i only v’got one so i constantly need to chanfge the HDMI from one to the other, becouse i can only open applicatoins in one of them but its the 5870 and is at 1080p so i need to open the thing on the 5870 and then conect the other HDMI to have the full 2k and the power of the 5500xt.
if anyone knows what happened please reply.

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
Also note thet i tried use the bootscreen disconecting the hd 5870 and witout seeing it, and to use both the preferneces from mac os and the bootcamp controllpanel from windows

carylee2002

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
Try clearing your pram manually by turning off the computer. disconnect all wires including the powercord to the tower for at least a few minutes. Also while waiting, press the on button to discharge any leftover charge. Then plugin the bare minimum cords into your computer and insert the power cord in last into the tower. if it boots normally the proceed to install everything else.

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
Just a question the button on the pci bay, wasn’t it for reseting the pram ?

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
thanks that soved the problem but now i am having another issue, nomatter what i do the mac will refuse to enter windows unles i use the alt key. If not it will say no bootable device or it will get stuck whyle starting windows. Also i managed to make it do a beep (no ram code )at startup, after restarting never again

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Just a question the button on the pci bay, wasn’t it for reseting the pram ?
The push-button right near the RTC battery holder is just a RTC clock and RTCRAM (where time related variables, like timesinceboot, are stored) reset - it just interrupts the RTC battery power while you keep it pressed.

PRAM is a thing of OpenFirmware Macs past, Intel Mac Pros have NVRAM, earlier with FWB memories and later (earlier-2009 forward) with SPI flash memories, both types don't need any battery power.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
thanks that soved the problem but now i am having another issue, nomatter what i do the mac will refuse to enter windows unles i use the alt key. If not it will say no bootable device.
This is usually a sign that the NVRAM volume is corrupt. First try to do a NVRAM reset, then re-bless your Windows disk - you can do with the BootCamp applet on Windows or with SysPref/StartUpDisk from macOS. If won't work, you'll need a BootROM reconstruction service in the near future.

carylee2002

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
thanks that soved the problem but now i am having another issue, nomatter what i do the mac will refuse to enter windows unles i use the alt key. If not it will say no bootable device or it will get stuck whyle starting windows. Also i managed to make it do a beep (no ram code )at startup, after restarting never again
Are you dedicated your computer solely as a windows computer or do you need mac options. I have my macmini purely working on windows 10 only. I installed it using windows install disk or you can do it off their site till you get your serial number after 30days trial. You don't need to use bootcamp at all. Plus all my drivers I ever needed was downloaded via windows update. The only thing you will need to download the network driver to access the internet first. As for your no bootable device is that is looking for mac os as the primary and your windows is secondary. If you can get to first aid disk utility via booting in safe mode and do a repair disk that might solve your problem. im sure is tutorials on youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.