Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hi,

I just got a Nikon d40 on June 30th. Today while snapping some pics, I noticed a very annoying black spec right under the center AF point in the viewfinder> It's not showing up on any pictures, so I know that it's not sensor or lens related. I tried blowing out the inside of the camera with compressed air, and there was no difference, I tried swapping the viewfinder with a wet q-tip, and I even tried wiping the pentamirror and focusing screen down with a microfiber cloth. None of this has made the problem any better or worse. I called Best Buy to see if I could have it exchanged for a new one without having to pay the restocking fee, because in my opinion this camera is defective. They said that I would have to pay the restocking fee because I had already sent the warranty card for the kit lens in:mad:. Any suggestions on how I could get rid of this black speck? Also, I have only changed the lens twice.

Thanks,

Don

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Take it into a camera store and have it cleaned (though you'd have to pay). I'm not sure where you're located but in Canada for example you could take it to Blacks Photography or Henry's.

EDIT: Depending on the cost, it may be worth it for you to just pay the restocking fee...

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
What are the laws where you are? I'm fairly sure that, if it was defective at purchase, here in the UK the shop would be obliged to sort it for the first 6 months, though they'd wriggle.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Well, I'll have to ask my mother that, being that she is lawyer. And now that I think of it lemon laws should cover it.

Thanks,

Don

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It shows up on the viewfinder but not in any pictures?

Chances are a piece of dirt/dust are on the mirror or possibly in the viewfinder mechanism above the mirror. ( prism / focusing screen ) Should be easy to remedy. This is where I look when I see what you are describing, on the mirror and on the screen right above the mirror.

As to the restocking fee - well they should be able to do an 'even exchange' without charging the fee. Here ( in the USA ) they charge a restocking fee if you are returning a good unit, and just getting a cash refund.

Next time - do not send in the warranty cards until you are 100% certain the item is a keeper.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
It shows up on the viewfinder but not in any pictures?

Chances are a piece of dirt/dust are on the mirror or possibly in the viewfinder mechanism above the mirror. ( prism / focusing screen ) Should be easy to remedy.

Well, I'm not sure what else to do. I've gone through nearly a whole can of compressed air, and have wiped down the pentamirror and focusing screen. I've read that if I touch the mirror the silver reflective paint will come of or will scratch very easily. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but this is my first SLR of any kind.

Don

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Hmmmm .....

Don't touch anything with your fingers, is good advice.

Can you see anything on the mirror or screen above it?

If they are clean of any debris it is probably above the screen inside the prism housing????

ALSO - this may sound stupid BUT - did you clean the Viewfinder glass that you look through?

Where did you buy the Camera? Best Buy? Circuit City? Camera store? I think they should have to take it back as 'defective', unless you have had it longer than a specific time.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hmmmm .....

Don't touch anything with your fingers, is good advice.

Can you see anything on the mirror or screen above it?

If they are clean of any debris it is probably above the screen inside the prism housing????

ALSO - this may sound stupid BUT - did you clean the Viewfinder glass that you look through?

I looked inside the camera under better light, and I can see a tiny chip in the focusing screen just about where the speck in the viewfinder is. It looks like I'll be heading back to Best Buy today, I will be so pissed if they make me pay nearly $75 dollars in restocking fees for a defective product. This is going to be a major pain in the @ss, because I bought a lens with the camera and got $100 dollars off the lens. Shouldn't be much of a problem because I'm just exchanging it for the same product am I right?

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

Don

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I looked inside the camera under better light, and I can see a tiny chip in the focusing screen just about where the speck in the viewfinder is. It looks like I'll be heading back to Best Buy today, I will be so pissed if they make me pay nearly $75 dollars in restocking fees for a defective product. This is going to be a major pain in the @ss, because I bought a lens with the camera and got $100 dollars off the lens. Shouldn't be much of a problem because I'm just exchanging it for the same product am I right?

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

Don

You are right - this is an exchange of a defective unit for a good one.

How long have you had the camera ????

Less than 14 days? Best Buy return policy here is 14 days.

Forcefully tell them you are returning a DEFECTIVE UNIT and want a new one. There should be NO restocking fee.

DEMAND to speak to the STORE MANAGER - not anyone else - He can resolve this.

I had a Camcorder that died after 19 days ...... I made them exchange it for a new one even though i had it longer than 14 days. ( actually they gave me a refund and I bought another DSLR )

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I've gone through nearly a whole can of compressed air...
Don

In the future, you shouldn't use compressed air to clean in the side of cameras (just use a rocket blower). The compressed air cans contain liquid propellants that will make it's way into your camera.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Oh,

I didn't know that compressed air wasn't well, just air.

I've had the camera for 9 days. I'm just worried that they're going to say that it isn't there, because you can really only see it when you are looking at a clear sky, or at something plain white. I'll keep you guys updated.

Don

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Oh,

I didn't know that compressed air wasn't well, just air.

I've had the camera for 9 days. I'm just worried that they're going to say that it isn't there, because you can really only see it when you are looking at a clear sky, or at something plain white. I'll keep you guys updated.

Don

Show it to them, point the camera at the wall or other light surface. Just tell them the camera is 'defective' and you want it exchanged.

Oh and this time DO NOT mention the Warranty Card.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Even if they brought it up, couldn't he just exchange the body only since the warranty card was for the kit lens?
I won't mention the warranty card this time, but if they did bring it up I don't think that they could only exchange the body, because they only sell the D40 as a kit. And I don't think that they would want to open another camera so that it couldn't be sold as new also.

Don

PS,

harcosparky- I had to send in the warranty card because it stated that if I didn't send it in within ten days of purchase the extended service coverage would be null and void, I haven't noticed it till no and otherwise I have no problems with the camera. I just find this speck very annoying and I'm planning on keeping this camera for the next 4-6 years.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
In the future, you shouldn't use compressed air to clean in the side of cameras (just use a rocket blower). The compressed air cans contain liquid propellants that will make it's way into your camera.

Agreed! Compressed air just risks making the problem worse! In addition to the propellant issue that Pkennneth mentioned, the cold temperature of the air coming out of the can risks damaging the sensor or mirror surface unless you hold the compressed air can relatively far away from the camera housing.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I won't mention the warranty card this time, but if they did bring it up I don't think that they could only exchange the body, because they only sell the D40 as a kit. And I don't think that they would want to open another camera so that it couldn't be sold as new also.

Don

PS,

harcosparky- I had to send in the warranty card because it stated that if I didn't send it in within ten days of purchase the extended service coverage would be null and void, I haven't noticed it till no and otherwise I have no problems with the camera. I just find this speck very annoying and I'm planning on keeping this camera for the next 4-6 years.

AS far as exchanging the body from a 'kit'. In essence what occurs is this, they technically swap " kit for kit ". Take in the entire "kit" , tell that it is defective and have them exchange the kit. I think you will find they are agreeable to that.

Let us know how it goes!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
A speck of dust on the mirror, or on the viewfinder does not affect the photos taken with the camera. If it's a new camera that has been purchased recently, you can take it back to the store for replacement, but in reality all it needs is cleaning. You can also send it to Nikon for cleaning.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Well, I took it to Best Buy today and they agreed to an exchange, but they are out of D40's until Saturday. They offered to special order one for me and to have it sent to the house, but I would have had to pay $500 dollars again, and brought the defective camera back in when the new one arrives. So I just decided to hold onto this one until Saturday, I'm no debating as to wether or not I should spend the extra $200 and get the D60 instead. What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra $200? I really don't need the 10.1 MP, but I'm starting to think that the anti dust features might be worth it. Any opinions?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks,

Don

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I'm pretty sure the "sensor cleaning" feature of the D60 only cleans the "sensor". In your case, I don't really think it would have made a difference. Some people/cameras seem to get a lot more sensor dust than others...but I guess it's too early for you to tell right now. My D40 has only gotten dust on the sensor once in the year that I've had it for (though my friend freaks out when he sees how quickly I change my lens and I freak out when I see his camera without a lens).

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I'm pretty sure the "sensor cleaning" feature of the D60 only cleans the "sensor". In your case, I don't really think it would have made a difference. Some people/cameras seem to get a lot more sensor dust than others...but I guess it's too early for you to tell right now. My D40 has only gotten dust on the sensor once in the year that I've had it for (though my friend freaks out when he sees how quickly I change my lens and I freak out when I see his camera without a lens).

I remember reading that the D60 blows compressed air through the whole camera body every time a picture is taken. Are there any other features the D60 has over the D40 besides sensor cleaning and the resolution. Also I had already noticed dust in some of my pictures before I noticed the spec, mind you the dust in the pictures was in a totally different spot than that spec. Basically what I'm asking, is if the dust reduction in DSLR's actually work or if it's just a gimmick. Sorry for being such an idiot!

Thanks,

Don

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry to play DA, but having a speck visible on your viewfinder but not on your pictures may not be a defect. Is it not perfect, yes, and should you expect better, sure. But, it doesn't affect the way the camera works. I know because I have the same problem. There's something on the pentaprism which I can see through the viewfinder. It bothered me at first, but now I'm pretty much used to it.

I wouldn't be very aggressive in cleaning it. Basically, don't touch the mirror and be gentle with the prism. If the mirror mechanism gets screwed, that's pretty much it for the body.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I remember reading that the D60 blows compressed air through the whole camera body every time a picture is taken. Are there any other features the D60 has over the D40 besides sensor cleaning and the resolution. Also I had already noticed dust in some of my pictures before I noticed the spec, mind you the dust in the pictures was in a totally different spot than that spec. Basically what I'm asking, is if the dust reduction in DSLR's actually work or if it's just a gimmick. Sorry for being such an idiot!

Thanks,

Don

I'm fairly certain that 'sensor cleaning' inside a camera involves some form of light vibration of the sensor ( to shake off the dust ) and an electrostatically charged ring around the sensor to pull the dust away from the sensor.

Blowing compressed air through a camera each time a photo is taken would involve some sort of compressor inside the camera, or a rechargeable air reservoir.

I'm guessing that sensor cleaning works to some degree, at least the concept does. I mean the dust is 'still in there', it's just being held captive on the ring around the sensor.

What happens when there is more dust than the sensor can hold? I don't know.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Ok, I took the defective D40 back yesterday because they got a shipment of D60's and D40's in yesterday, and I decided that I wanted to upgrade to the D60. At first the salesperson refused, and I asked to speak to a manager. The manager came and then refused to do it, he even refused to exchange the defective D40 for another D40, (but it was fine to exchange it on Wednesday, but they were out of the D60 and D40). I then proceeded to inform the manager that if he wouldn't allow me to upgrade to the D60 I would call the Better Business Bureau. He said to go ahead, so I pulled out my phone and dialed right in front of him (I had the number saved) an operator answered and I told her that I would like to file a complaint against Best Buy. The manager then told me that he was wrong, there would be no problem upgrading to the D60. So I walked out of the store with a D60, and a $50 dollar store credit for my inconvenience.:D

Oh, and no I didn't file a complaint against Best Buy. I told the operator that the situation had been resolved.

Moral of the story- Never let idiot salespeople jerk you around. You should jerk them around.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.