Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldguyfromnj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I am having a problem with prints ordered from Apple. I previously submitted several B&W images for printing and had no problems. The original negs were scanned as greyscale, and I have reduced the color saturation to zero in Aperture. The images look fine on my monitor, and I can produce totally greyscale prints on my inkjet printer.

Recently, however, the prints ordered from Apple have been comming back with a reddish or sepia tone. I also sent some to another print vendor with the same result. Any ideas?

Kent

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is your monitor calibrated and how are you saving the files for upload to Apple and other print vendors?

oldguyfromnj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
My 30" Dell monitor has been calibrated using ColorMunki. The color prints I have received are completely satisfactory. As I stated, I set the color saturation control in Aperture all the way to the left before the images are submitted.

As you are aware, Aperture does not modify the original "master" image, but creates additional data which is applied to the master when it is viewed or transmitted.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I'm no expert but desaturating an image is not the best way to go about it. Have you used the monochrome mixer in Aperture?

Also, have you tried sending the photos to a place like Mpix that actually uses paper specifically for b&w images?

I've had some b&w photos printed by them on both their standard Kodak Endura paper and on the Ilford True B&W and on the Endura there is a slight red cast.

I highly recommend Mpix they are a bit more expensive but the quality is fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.