Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have been using crashplan for 6 years and have about 1.4 TB of data backed up. With the new crashplan service I thought it may be time for something different. Crashplan does not offer restore via a hard drive anymore but backblaze does, also they are a bit cheaper I am trying out backblaze and the first backup is dog slow. I have a descent amount of bandwidth about 10.5Mbps up. Is this normal for backblaze? Should I be looking at something else?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Should I be looking at something else?"

Yes.
Get TWO 2tb hard drives.
Get CarbonCopyCloner.
Use CCC to create TWO cloned backups of your source drive.

Keep the first clone "within arm's reach" for emergencies.
Keep the second clone in a DIFFERENT BUILDING, it will become your "offsite backup" in case of a disaster at the computer's location.

This won't take 166 days, and if you ever need to get all that data back, it won't take 166 more days.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
"Should I be looking at something else?"

Yes.
Get TWO 2tb hard drives.
Get CarbonCopyCloner.
Use CCC to create TWO cloned backups of your source drive.

Keep the first clone "within arm's reach" for emergencies.
Keep the second clone in a DIFFERENT BUILDING, it will become your "offsite backup" in case of a disaster at the computer's location.

This won't take 166 days, and if you ever need to get all that data back, it won't take 166 more days.
Also, you pay ONCE for the hardware and not MONTHLY for the service.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have been using crashplan for 6 years and have about 1.4 TB of data backed up. With the new crashplan service I thought it may be time for something different. Crashplan does not offer restore via a hard drive anymore but backblaze does, also they are a bit cheaper I am trying out backblaze and the first backup is dog slow. I have a descent amount of bandwidth about 10.5Mbps up. Is this normal for backblaze? Should I be looking at something else?
Have you looked at this document?
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us...-to-optimize-your-settings-for-faster-uploads
The following page is linked off that one and has some more specifics.

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217666258-Performance-Settings-Mac-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.