Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfing@Blacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I am wanting a camera that will be able to be with me all the time. If it is taking shots of my friends surfing, at a random college party, or just on the road traveling and what not. My budget is 200 bucks (i know that sucks but im a broke college student). Video is a huge plus. So I came across this camera http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183

This is where you guys can help me out greatly. I am wondering for what I want and the price I can afford is this the best option for me.

Thanks

edit: i can purchase this camera for 179.99

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
From The Rules:
Minor Problems said:
One thread. Do not post a thread more than once. Post a new thread in the proper forum. If the topic is relevant to more than one forum, pick the best fit or most specific forum and post it only once.

Not Needed

As to the actual question: remember that Cyber Monday could also offer you bigger discounts.

Surfing@Blacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
well one post is for the photos and the other is for the video of it. I rather have experts in both fields give their advice for each specific use of the camera.

Sorry. I couldn't decide which one was more important =)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
There are several good camera review sites online, and I'd start out with dpreview.com and check out their reviews. They've done several point 'n shoot shootout comparisons, budget, ultra compact, premium, enthusiast and waterproof models, as well as tons of individual camera reviews.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You're welcome... and good luck finding what you're looking for. It's a confusing world out there with so many products competing with similar capabilities. That's the world of electronics, as cameras have now become.

Personally, I like the Lumix point and shoots...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
My biggest concern with that Canon is the focal length - the widest it gets is 33mm (equivalent). That's just not very wide at all. To some degree it depends on what you like to shoot; but in my mind, wide trumps long.

When my daughter went to Japan, I ended up getting her a Panasonic Lumix (it was an FS15, but point and shoot models turn over rapidly). The thing I like about the Lumix cameras is they usually offer a 28mm focal length at the wide end (and on their more expensive P&S cameras they even go to 24mm).

Anyway that's my $0.02US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.