Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baico99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Brockton, MA
I recently purchased an iPhone X on Craigslist with AT&T Network. I inserted my iPhone 7 AT&T SIM card into the iPhone X and it worked... I was able to set up the phone, message, and make a few calls. Then after a few hours, I suddenly lost connection. I was no longer able to connect to the AT&T Network and it says my device is not able to be used. I removed my SIM card from my iPhone X and placed it back into my iPhone 7 but it still showed no Network Connection. I logged on to my AT&T Account and noticed that my account was suspended, however, there was an icon to 're-activate' my account. I clicked on 'Re-Activate' and was able to insert my SIM card into both the iPhone 7 and iPhone X and use them again. Curious, I checked my IMEI number against the blacklisted sites, and saw that my phone is blacklisted.
Why is it that even though my phone shows Blacklisted, I am still able to use it? If I continue to use it, will AT&T suspend my account again?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
+1 - try to get a refund. Wouldn't be a bad idea to contact AT&T to see if the phone is stolen (could very well be one of the batch stolen from that UPS truck). Be surprised Apple hasn't put additional measures in place to ensure those X's never work properly.

Even if you get it to work on AT&T, the person you sell it to may not be so lucky....and you'll have nothing but issues trying to roam with it...as the blacklisted devices are usually populated in the global GSMA database. It won't work in other countries when you travel.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I recently purchased an iPhone X on Craigslist with AT&T Network. I inserted my iPhone 7 AT&T SIM card into the iPhone X and it worked... I was able to set up the phone, message, and make a few calls. Then after a few hours, I suddenly lost connection. I was no longer able to connect to the AT&T Network and it says my device is not able to be used. I removed my SIM card from my iPhone X and placed it back into my iPhone 7 but it still showed no Network Connection. I logged on to my AT&T Account and noticed that my account was suspended, however, there was an icon to 're-activate' my account. I clicked on 'Re-Activate' and was able to insert my SIM card into both the iPhone 7 and iPhone X and use them again. Curious, I checked my IMEI number against the blacklisted sites, and saw that my phone is blacklisted.
Why is it that even though my phone shows Blacklisted, I am still able to use it? If I continue to use it, will AT&T suspend my account again?

The lesson learned here, no matter how much cheaper it is, it's peace of mind to buy a phone at a retailer knowing that the phone will not be blacklisted/blocked due to fraudulent activities.

Buying something on craigslist or from a direct seller is always bound for shenanigans. Not saying you are involved with the phone being blacklisted, but with all threads that start of saying "Bought/purchased a phone from Craiglist or (insert seller here)" the thread starter themselves are probably asking for tips to unlock it or asking for a friend.

Best case for you is to take it to ATT, provide them with the info on the seller, and see if they can do anything about it. I highly doubt they could, but if the seller was the one who legitimately purchased the phone, only s/he can verify the legitimacy of that phone. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2ndtry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.