Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Hey everyone
Im a huge fan of StarCraft and Overwatch
Is there a way to play them on a mac (natively)
Im aware that SC Is available for PPC macs, but is it also for intel?
Thanks

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
SC was just released as a remastered version, intel mac and PC compatible, for $15. Search for it on battle.net (I'd link but corporate firewall blocks battle.net)

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
SC was just released as a remastered version, intel mac and PC compatible, for $15. Search for it on battle.net (I'd link but corporate firewall blocks battle.net)
There was also an updated version of the original StarCraft released for Mac and Windows without the updated graphics that you can download and play for free. Both versions are supposed to play exactly the same and can play against one another in multiplayer matches. The remastered version uses the same Blizzard launcher/patcher application as all the other recent Blizzard games, the one with just the old graphics has its own launcher.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Yeah, but it's not actually available and there's no announcement that it will be. So the answer to "is there a way to play it natively on the Mac" is still "nope". ;)

--Eric

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
Not sure what playing natively on a Mac means?

Drakensang, which I play, can be played directly on a Mac. You don't need to use Boot Camp, but the game is played on a Mac by restarting and logging in again.
[doublepost=1507357448][/doublepost]Not sure what playing natively on a Mac means?

Drakensang, which I play, can be played directly on a Mac. You don't need to use Boot Camp, but the game is played on a Mac by restarting and logging in again.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009

What? o_O
And it's not a blizzard game.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Any reason for the double-posts? And why bother posting about something completely unrelated? Seems like spam.

--Eric

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Mac Native = Program in Mac OS

Any reason for the double-posts? And why bother posting about something completely unrelated? Seems like spam.

--Eric

Not spam, the link doesn't seem to have any referral code....

IMHO, Steve Jobs put the Intel chips in Macs because, not only are they better at power/wattage usage but, since not many games were being released for MacOS, it is easy for Gamers to just put Windows on the machine and game from that. Not to mention many people can use a boot-window to run their DOS/Windows program in as well (without any emulation).

I guess you can go to Blizzards Social Media and vote for Mac OS versions of games.

I think it will also depend on how Apple handles their new "modular" Mac Pro. Will "base units" start at $999 that you can easily game on and upgrade from there? Or will it still start at their premium $3000+ thus, really, killing off the notion that Macs are "gaming" pc's. Who really wants to game on an iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.