Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'm receiving repeated spam calls from a phone number I've blocked, but the iPhone still rings and shows the number on the screen as-if it's not blocked. I'm not using any 3rd party tools to block calls -- just the built-in "Block this caller" link on the call history screen.

Call blocking has worked perfectly till now. Have they found a way around it? I'd think the phone number would be the key to prevent this.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Once as in one-ring, or one more call? I've blocked the number, and it's called twice today, and it showed up on my display for the full 10-12 rings for the entire duration of their attempted call. The only thing it didn't do is show up on my MacBook Pro's screen, at the same time, like other calls do.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think there are numbers - particularly from companies that display the "main" published number but the call is actually from some other number at the company - as in some one's direct dial number. We have this - call isn't really blocked on several phones (Apple and Samsung) from a company that we do business with but don't want their calls and can't get them to stop.
They don't want the individual number to show so they somehow do it the other way - our loss their gain

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think there are numbers - particularly from companies that display the "main" published number but the call is actually from some other number at the company - as in some one's direct dial number. We have this - call isn't really blocked on several phones (Apple and Samsung) from a company that we do business with but don't want their calls and can't get them to stop.
They don't want the individual number to show so they somehow do it the other way - our loss their gain

Indeed. Many company's do not publish their employees direct lines.
example:
Reception 416-xxx-1500 is set
All employees external numbers are published using this reception line via Cisco/etc.

Alternatively ... if it's a mobile number you may need to block not just the mobile line in phone, but also in iMessage and check in FaceTime that it's blocked in case their using FaceTime Voice call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.